student life

Best Buddies conference returning to IU

When she was helping to put together the Best Buddies 25th anniversary book, Best Buddies Public Relations Director Nicole Maddox came across some extraordinary stories, including one of a man who received his first-ever phone call from a buddy to ask how he was doing — a call he got at the age of 23.

These moments are the moments when Maddox knows she is working for a greater good.

Now in its 25th year, the Best Buddies annual Leadership Conference is coming back to Bloomington this weekend, bringing figures such as NBA player Kyrie Irving and introducing events such as a silver-anniversary-themed friendship walk, a pep rally and educational sessions, Maddox said.

Best Buddies is a non-profit organization that works with people who have intellectual and developmental disabilities such as autism and Downs Syndrome.

Maddox said the group seeks to help them integrate into society and corporate America, form friendships with others and develop leadership skills.

The Leadership Conference strives to exemplify Best Buddies’ core values and show participants the impact they make on others’ lives, Maddox said.

“They’re impacting lives that they have no idea that they are impacting,” she said.

Participants in the conference will have the chance to take part in seminars, workshops and other events that will pave the way to enhance communities through the inclusion of those with intellectual and developmental disabilities in both the social sphere and the workforce, according to bestbuddies.org .

Best Buddies Communications Manager Jeanne Turkheimer said the conference is expecting more than 2,000 people this weekend for the three-day event.

And these aren’t just students, student leaders and volunteers from around the country, she pointed out — there are individuals coming from all corners of the world.

Maddox said although the conference has always been in Bloomington at IU, they do not keep returning out of habit.

“The people are just so nice, and it’s always been great,” she said. “I think that’s why we continue to come back year after year.”

She added that the Indiana chapter of Best Buddies has produced some of the best student leaders within the organization.

Turkheimer has been with Best Buddies in her current position for several weeks, but it isn’t her first experience with the organization. In high school, she volunteered and witnessed the magic of the program firsthand.

“I think that what’s so wonderful about the organization is that these friendships, they aren’t forced,” she said. “They’re just so natural. They’re just friends.”