Words of wisdom

Adelheid Gealt, director of the IU Art Museum

Gealt

”Take advantage of all the world class cultural resources IU has to offer. IU’s arts scene rivals that of a big city. Your life as a student will be so enhanced and your education as a citizen of the world will be greatly enlarged. Good luck!”

Pat Donahue, director, Career Development Center

“Back in 1991, when I was a freelance journalist, I interviewed a local philanthropist who was known for always finding the joy in life. I asked him what the secret was to his happiness. I keep his words on a frame on my desk. Here’s what he said:

‘If you want to feel good for an hour, take a nap. If you want to feel good for a day, go shopping. If you want to feel good for a month, take a vacation. If you want to feel good for a lifetime, help someone.’”

Doug Bauder, coordinator of GLBT Student Support Services

“I would encourage students to be open to discover what their own sexuality might mean to them in healthy ways, but also to value and respect the differences they encounter. It makes for a full and enriched college experience. My sense is that students today are much more open to value the differences they are exposed to. Don’t assume everyone is the same, don’t be afraid to ask questions in a respectful way. I think when people do that, they’re really delighted to give positive responses.”

Andy Braden, IUSA president

“College provides a wonderful opportunity to sample different creative and professional endeavors. This is the time to find what you are most passionate about. Learn to take care of yourself. For many of you, this will be the first time you are allowed to make every decision regarding your lifestyle. Find out what works for you, and try to live a healthy, productive life. Finally, value your reputation. The decisions you make can stay with you, so be conscious of the way you treat people.”

Lillian Casillas-Origel, director, La Casa Latino Cultural Center

“One, always remember why you are here — to learn and grow. That should be a priority and guide what you do the next four years. Two, surround yourself with people that will support and have a positive influence in your life. Three, never be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help. You are not the only one who will seek help, and that is why faculty and staff are here. Four, never be afraid or embarrassed to go beyond your comfort zone. College is the best place to challenge yourself and explore the unknown.”

Sandy Britton, associate director for international student life, Office of International Services

“Reach out and become involved. There are a number of leadership opportunities, and that is a great way for domestic and international students to be actively involved. Look for opportunities that foster personal and professional growth in a positive way, and utilize the resources available at IU to assist you in being a successful college student.”

Eric Love, director, diversity education

“I would encourage incoming students to take advantage of the diversity on IU’s campus. Meet and interact with people of different ethnicities, faiths and nationalities. It will help you develop as a person and give you insight into the world we live in.”