What is Welcome Week?

CultureFest

Wednesday, Aug. 20

Residence halls open, 8 a.m.

Freshman Induction Ceremony, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Families are invited, and a picnic follows.

New students attend floor meetings in their residence halls.

Enjoy social events at each residence center.

Thursday, Aug. 21

Hutton Honors students attend required meetings.

Academic Orientation, followed by receptions, 3-4 p.m.

CultureFest, a celebration of culture and diversity at IU, takes place at 4:30 p.m. Stop by for music, henna tattoos and food from around the world.

Herman B House Party, a game night at Herman B Wells Library, 9 p.m. to midnight. Come see the library in a new way and play anything from Guitar Hero to ping pong.

Friday, Aug. 22

Job fairs for both work study and non-work study jobs, 9-11 a.m., 1-3 p.m., respectively.

University Division students attend advising meetings at assigned times.  

Open houses and fairs, noon to 3 p.m. This is  time to get out and explore campus. Libraries, culture centers and academic support centers are open with refreshments and tours. Go with a resident assistant or Welcome Week assistant, or explore on your own.

RecFest, an intramural sports festival, 1-3 p.m. at the Wildermuth Intramural Center. Learn about everything from club sports to personal training.

Sex, Drugs and Rock ’n’ Roll, noon to 3 p.m.

Traditions and Spirit of IU, 4:15 p.m. at Assembly Hall. Learn all things cream and crimson, from the fight song to the cheers, and prepare to show your IU spirit.

Taste of the Union, 6 p.m. Get to know your way through the heart of campus — the Indiana Memorial Union — and do it with free food, karaoke, games and prizes.

Midnight Madness, 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Hop on a free shuttle to a local store to take advantage of the deals and stock up on all the essentials you forgot at home.    

Saturday, Aug. 23

New Student Service Day, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Get involved with your new community and take a break from the move-in madness to volunteer. It’s an opportunity to meet new people and work on service projects in town.

Events occur at individual residence centers.

Welcome Week concert in the evening. An opportunity to enjoy live music and socialize.

Sunday, Aug. 24

FaithFest, 1-3 p.m. in Dunn Meadow. Get to know all the unique and diverse religious groups on campus and in Bloomington.

Residence Hall floor meetings.

First week of classes

IU Guides will help students make their way to classes for the first two days.

IU Student Involvement Fair, Wednesday, Sept. 3.

First football game, Saturday, Aug. 30 against Indiana State at Memorial Stadium.

*All times subject to change. Visit fye.indiana.edu for more information.

Also look for

Interfraternity Council recruitment

Panhellenic information meetings

Student organization call-out meetings

Lotus World Music and Arts Festival

Freshman Family Weekend and Parents Weekend, Nov. 7-9