Radio station to celebrate local and regional artists with Acoustic Roots Festival

entAcousticRootsFestival

FROM IDS REPORTS

The Acoustic Roots Festival has become somewhat of a Bloomington summer tradition, now going on for its seventh year. WFHB has the festival set for Saturday.
The festival will be at Upland Brewing Company, which has been the location for the festival in the past. All ages are welcome. Gates will open at 2:30 p.m. Saturday and the festival will run from 3 to 11 p.m.
According to a press release, WFHB’s Acoustic Roots Festival is a fundraiser for Bloomington Community Radio. The festival will focus on the heritage of American roots music and allows local and regional artists to showcase their work.
The 2014 line-up features T.V. Mike & the Scarecrowes, Timm Grimm and Jan Lucas, White Lightning Boys, Indiana Boys, Lexi Len & The Strangers, Ottomobile, The Underhills and Jacob Latham.
“Many people just think of older people with gray hair when they think of acoustic and folk music, but we have many performers that are younger as well,” WFHB music director Jim Manion said. “Part of our mission is to celebrate an increase in local cultural diversity.”
A number of the artists have played in the festival before and have close ties to Bloomington, Manion said.
“It’s really gratifying to see these connections with musicians build,” Manion said.
The lead singer of the headliner, T.V. Mike & the Scarecrowes, used to work at Upland, Manion said, but the group is currently based in California.
“This definitely is a bit of a homecoming for him,” Manion said.
The festival had more than 300 people attend last year, and Manion said he expects higher attendance numbers this year.  
Tickets cost $15 if bought in advance. Tickets are available at WFHB, Bloomingfoods, Upland Brewing Company, the WFHB tent at the Bloomington Farmers Market and Muddy Boots in Nashville, Ind.
Tickets can be bought at the gate as well and will cost $20.
Upland brewery food and beverages will be available on site. Individual coolers with foods and drinks are not allowed to be carried into the festival.
“It’s a really a great way to kick off the summer in Bloomington,” Manion said.

Anu Kumar