academics & research

Nursing alumni celebrate honors

IU School of Nursing will award its most distinguished alumni the Alumni Legacy Leaders award on June 21.

The school has chosen 100 recipients from around the world to celebrate of the program’s 100 years of existence.

Among the Alumni Legacy Leaders awardees is Ruth Ann Morris, the vice president of patient care and the chief nursing officer at IU Health Bloomington Hospital.

Chad Priest, assistant dean for operations and community partnerships at the nursing school, said he considers Morris an exemplary recipient for the award.

“She is the perfect example of someone who has made a remarkable contribution to the profession of nursing, both in her current role as chief nursing officer at IU Health Bloomington and throughout her career,” Priest said.

A competitive submission and review process was used to select alumni for the award, Priest said.

“I am very proud, pleased and excited that I was named with the 100 Legacy awardees by the IU School of Nursing,” Morris said.

Since IU School of Nursing opened its doors in 1914, it has been a catalyst for change in education, practice and research, according to the school’s website.

The awardees demonstrate exceptional contributions to nursing through education, clinical practice, leadership and research, Priest said.

“What it means most is I have always tried to give back to my profession, to be a leader and lead the way for the next generation,” Morris said.

Recipients of the award are regarded as role models for the nursing school and trailblazers of the profession, IU School of Nursing Dean Marion Broome said.
“We are extremely proud of our Top 100 Alumni Legacy Leaders,” Broome said. “Their contributions have made a deep and lasting impact on the profession of nursing and in the health care system, continuing the tradition of excellence and leadership at Indiana University School of Nursing.”

Despite the accomplishments she has already achieved, Morris said she feels the need to continue excelling in her profession.

“The expectation has been set high, so I have to keep doing better,” Morris said.