arts performances

Student group puts on St. Jude's benefit

CAROUSELentStJude

The skies were a clear blue and the sun shined down on Dunn Meadow on Saturday for the second annual “Hey St. Jude!” benefit concert.

The event, sponsored by the Human Biology Student Government, featured food, games, karaoke and music from local bands.

Proceeds benefitted St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. The hospital aims to prevent and find cures for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment.  

Senior Jessica Shaker, president of the Human Biology Student Government, said St. Jude has been a part of her life since she was young.

She said members of her family are on the hospital’s board and have taken part in fundraising efforts in her hometown Chicago.
She interned at the hospital last summer and will work there again this summer.

Shaker said after she saw a music video campaign put on by the hospital for the “Hey St. Jude!” concerts, she wanted to bring one to Bloomington.

“I just thought it would be cool to do something here,” she said. “People have done it, but we tried to make it our own.”

Some students in attendance wore T-shirts that read, “Finding cures, saving children.”
Shaker said her favorite thing about St. Jude is no child’s family has to pay for treatment.

The hospital needs about $3 million per day to keep facilities up and running, she said, and that money is mainly provided through donations and grants.

“It’s pretty amazing that they manage to fundraise this,” Shaker said.

Attendees had the opportunity to participate in a few small game
tournaments and win prizes donated from local vendors, which included Taste of India, Noodles & Company and Yogi’s Bar and Grill. Another contest had participants guess the number of jellybeans in a jar.

Performers included folk bands the Underhills and Dietrich John, blues band Lost Catfish and rock band Fizzbang.

Lost Catfish bass player Justin Peña, who calls himself “Gilby,” said he heard about the concert from his bandmates and simply came along to perform.

“We like humans and biology,” he said.

Senior Austen Rang, vice president of the Human Biology Student Government, said all of the participating bands were supportive of the event and very willing to help out.

He said he enjoyed seeing people come together to have fun and raise money for a good cause.

“Hopefully we can keep it going for a few years to come,” he said.