‘State of Hate’ addresses extremism

Neo-Nazi groups, the Ku Klux Klan and white supremacy were major points of discussion Tuesday evening as students, faculty and staff gathered to hear a message about hate and extremism in the United States.

IU Student Association organized the “State of Hate and Extremism in the U.S.” workshop Tuesday in the Kelley School of Business.

The workshop featured Lecia Brooks, the director of the Southern Poverty Law Center.
SPLC, an organization dedicated to fighting hate and bigotry, seeks justice for the most vulnerable members of society, according to its website.

It addresses the resurgence of traditionalist groups across the nation through education and litigation, Brooks said.

Brooks embraced the opportunity to speak to IU students.

“I want to help students learn about the Civil Rights Movement and its connection and relevancy to contemporary social justice issues,” she said. “It’s been my experience that when students are made more aware of the experiences and stories of the people responsible for the successes of the Civil Rights Movement, they’re moved to take action against hatred and extremism.”

Brooks began her presentation by speaking about the Civil Rights Movement and highlighting the successful litigations of the SPLC, prosecuting culprits of hate crimes.

Traditionalist Youth Network, classified as an active white nationalist hate group by the SPLC, has a chapter at IU.

Brooks said TYN misrepresents itself by not claiming to be a white supremacist group, and that poses a threat to this community.

“People can find themselves aligned with this group not realizing they’re white supremacist,” she said. “I want to help prevent that.”

SPLC gathers intelligence about active groups in the U.S. and distributes that information to law enforcement and homeland security, Brooks said.

“I hope to stimulate a resurgence of activism,” Brooks said. “Students who feel marginalized must continue to demand an increase in representation in student population and faculty. It’s important to take a stand.”

Brooks’ message of increased activism resonated with the audience.

“What she is talking about is what we need at IU — integration, inclusion and promotion of diversity,” said Justin Bouger, freshman and founder of Students Against Intolerance.

“It is our duty as a community that everyone feels welcome and everyone is allowed to be themselves.” he said.

The workshop concluded with a question and answer session, during which audience members were able to ask questions about racial dilemmas to Brooks.

“We wanted this workshop to be more interactive,” said Leighton Johnson, IUSA Chief of Diversity and Inclusion and lead student organizer for the event.

“We wanted students to be engaged with the discussion.”

Follow reporter Javonte Anderson on Twitter @JavonteA.