sports softball

Softball doubleheader matches two struggling teams

After a weekend in which IU’s pitching staff allowed just 10 runs in a series with Purdue, the lowest in a series since conference play began, the Hoosiers (10-26-1, 2-7 conference) play Michigan State (8-24, 1-8 conference) in a Wednesday double-header at Andy Mohr Field.

Michigan State is currently on a five-game losing streak, and has also lost nine of its last 10 games. The Spartans’ lone conference victory came against Purdue on March 30.

IU Coach Michelle Gardner said the team is feeling good heading into the midweek clash with the Spartans after the Sunday victory against Purdue.

“Winning Sunday was huge for us,” Gardner said. “I really feel like we are in a good place going into tomorrow. As long as we take care of our business and do the things we did over the weekend, we have a good chance at being successful.”

IU senior shortstop Breanna Saucedo said the team is excited to return to the field Wednesday.

“After our win against Purdue, our team is ready to get out there,” Saucedo said. “We are anxious to show everyone what we can do. We can win and play as a team and make it happen. We are excited.”

IU will face a Spartan offense that is statistically one of the worst in the Big Ten.
Michigan State has a team batting average of .222, the lowest in the conference. The team’s 173 hits are also the lowest amount in the Big Ten.

Spartan run production has come seldom, especially during the current 10-game stretch. The team has put 105 runs on the board this season, the second-lowest amount in the conference.

They are averaging 3.4 runs per game in the last 10 games, which is slightly higher than the 3.1 IU has been averaging in that same span.  

Spartan freshman infielder Sarah Gutknecht has been a bright spot in the lineup this season. Her 25 hits, seven doubles, six homeruns, 23 RBIs and .532 slugging percentage all lead the team.

Gardner said the team has carefully prepared for Gutknecht.

“We aren’t going to let her hurt us,” Gardner said. “We’ve looked at the charts and the scouting reports, and we are going to have to make some decisions. We could pitch around her, if we need to. It really depends on the situation.”

Other teams have begun to follow that lead. Gutknecht has been walked 12 times this season, the third-highest amount on the team.

Michigan State’s offense could benefit from a struggling IU pitching staff that is allowing 5.33 earned runs per game, the second-highest ERA in the conference.

Part of the high number of runs allowed by IU could be attributed to a conference-high 54 fielding errors this year.

Michigan State has had struggles in the circle this season as well.

The pitching staff has allowed 193 total runs, including a team ERA of 4.74, both the third highest in the conference. The Spartans struggle to strike batters out, fanning just 106 batters.

Since the series against Ohio State, IU’s offense has started putting together hits more frequently.

The team has strung together 46 hits since March 28, the highest amount of hits they have accumulated during a stretch this season.

Saucedo said aggression at the plate has led to the improvement.

“Our coaches are doing really well at making us be aggressive,” she said. “They are giving us opportunities to make things happen. They are being more aggressive, which has led to our batters following up each other.”

Saucedo currently ranks fourth in the conference in stolen bases with 12 and will face a Michigan State defense that has allowed 30 stolen bases.
Gardner said she wants to see the team work up the pitch count.

“We’re not pressing at the plate as much in the past couple weeks,” she said. “We need to continue to do that and see pitches.”