sports softball

Softball bounces back with victory

CAROUSELspSoftball

The IU softball team (14-33-1, 4-13) was ready for a turnaround Wednesday.

IU women’s soccer Coach Amy Berbary threw the game’s first pitch, and a member of a youth softball team, Avon Elite, sang the national anthem.

And if the day wasn’t already emotionally charged, IU had an opportunity to defeat Louisville (28-18, 9-6) for the first time in a decade.

The Hoosiers did just that, downing the Cardinals 8-3.

IU Coach Michelle Gardner made it a point in practice this week for the offense to execute with runners on base.  

“It felt really good to win today,” she said. “We got some timely hitting out of the offense. It was a key to the win today.”

After a pair of singles from junior centerfielder Brianna Meyer and senior shortstop Breanna Saucedo, sophomore second baseman Kassi Farmer hit a ground ball to left field, scoring the first run of the day.

Another IU walk loaded the bases. Louisville made a pitching change from freshman pitcher Maryssa Becker to senior Rachel LeCoq.

LeCoq was unable to stop the Hoosier scoring run, walking two batters with the bases loaded to give IU an early 3-0 lead.

In the bottom of the third inning, IU continued to solidify its lead.

Facing a full count with two outs and the bases loaded, sophomore catcher Kelsey Dotson drew a walk, which brought in freshman right fielder Natalie Lalich.

Following the walk, Louisville made the second pitching change of the game, this time bringing in senior Caralisa Connell.

On the following at-bat, Meyer drew a walk, bringing in freshman outfielder Kayla Mathewson.

With two outs, Saucedo hit a high-bouncing ball just over shortstop Hannah Kiyohara’s head, driving in senior third baseman Shelby Gogreve to give IU a six-run lead.

Following a Farmer triple in the fourth, freshman first baseman CaraMia Tsirigos hit a two-run home run over the right field wall, giving IU an 8-0 lead.

The homerun was Tsirigos’ fourth of the season and her second since returning to the lineup following a hand injury.

“I felt really confident out there today,” Tsirigos said. “I’ve been seeing the ball really well lately. It’s nice to connect on one.”

Gardner decided to make a move to the bullpen, bringing in senior Meaghan Murphy after four scoreless innings from junior Lora Olson.

Gardner said she made the move because she wanted all three of the team’s pitchers to see action.

“I wanted all of them to get innings tonight,” Gardner said. “Despite the homerun, Meaghan did a very good job.”

Murphy struggled, pitching 0.2 innings while allowing three runs.

Louisville got on the board for the first time in the top of the fifth when senior catcher Maggie Ruckenbrod hit a homerun over the center field wall.

They scored again when junior first baseman Brittany Duncan drove in two runs off of a double off the center field wall.

Olson was credited with the win, giving her a record of 6-14 on the season.

“I felt good out there tonight,” Olson said. “Our defense made some awesome plays. Their performance gave me some momentum. Whenever the defense is playing well, it really allows me to attack hitters.”