sports softball

Softball bounces back to win final game of series

After dropping the first two games of the weekend series, the IU softball team (12-29-1, 4-10) defeated Penn State (12-23, 5-7) in extra innings during the final game of the series.

IU Coach Michelle Gardner said she was happy with Sunday’s victory but sees room for improvement.

“I’d like for us to not give up as many runs,” she said. “I am happy with the way that the team continued to compete in all three games.”

IU lost 4-1 to Penn State Friday.

Senior pitcher Meaghan Murphy started in the circle, but she was unable to match her strong performance from Wednesday.

After allowing four runs on two hits, highlighted by a triple on the first at-bat from Penn State center fielder Lexi Knief, she was pulled after a third of an inning.

Sophomore pitcher Brooke Boetjer came in to relieve Murphy and retired the last two batters to end the inning. She would go on to strike out 10 batters, a career high.

Though Boetjer said she knew she was approaching a career high in strikeouts, she was focused on helping the team win.

“I knew I was close, but I wasn’t thinking about it,” she said. “I just wanted to shut them down so we would have a chance to fight back. I wanted to do better at moving the ball in the zone today.”

Penn State took the second game 2-1.

The Hoosiers were unable to take advantage of opportunities with runners in scoring position in the early innings.

In the bottom of the second, IU loaded the bases with one out. They stranded three after a strikeout by Meyer and a fly out off the bat of redshirt senior infielder Breanna Saucedo.

The Hoosiers scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the fourth frame. Meyer hit a fly ball to deep left field that resulted in an RBI double and scored second baseman Erin Lehman.

After a pitching change, Boetjer allowed a base hit to Hatfield, which gave the Nittany Lions the runs they needed to win the game.

Penn State would hold off IU in the final two innings.   

IU won Sunday’s game 8-7.

The Hoosiers’ offense put runs across the plate early.

With two runners on base, first baseman Kassi Farmer hit a three-run home run to left center field to give IU the early lead.

Saucedo stole her 14th base of the season before scoring on the home run.

In the next three innings, Penn State scored seven runs, building a 7-4 lead.

Facing a 2-1 count with two outs in the bottom of the sixth, Farmer hit an RBI single to left field to tie the game at seven.

Farmer’s career day wasn’t done.

After both teams were unable to score in the seventh, Farmer hit a walk-off single to center field. The single was her fourth hit of the day and her fifth RBI, both career highs.

“I struggled yesterday, and I just wanted to help the team get a win after two tough losses,” Farmer said. “I had a good round of batting practice before the game, and I knew if I had good contact everything would work out.”