Recapping the Spring Series

CAROUSELspQuals

Qualifications

After faulting on its first attempt, Phi Delta Theta won the men’s pole with a time of 2:22.57 on its second run. Phi Delta Theta’s time was 1.08 seconds quicker than runner-up Black Key Bulls, who qualified on the front row for the third consecutive year. Sigma Phi Epsilon rounded out the front row at 2:25.87.

Alpha Chi Omega won its first-ever pole for the women’s race with a time of 2:41.16. Melanana Cycling will start alongside, and Kappa Alpha Theta rounded out the front row.

Individual Time Trials

Chris Craig of defending champion Beta Theta Pi ran the fastest Individual Time Trial time in Beta history to claim the men’s ITT crown. His time of 2:22.98 was .37 seconds quicker than Phi Delta Theta’s Rob Lee, who finished second.

Chi Omega’s Aryn Doll captured the women’s ITT with a 2:40.01, .51 seconds quicker than Collins Cycling’s Tabitha Sherwood. The top four seeds in the women’s ITT proved to be the quickest, with Alpha Chi Omega’s Kelsey Tharnstrom and Teter’s Emma Caughlin rounding out the top four in the finishing order.

Miss-N-Out

Craig swept the individual portion of Spring Series by winning the men’s Miss-N-Out, narrowly beating Delta Tau Delta’s Paul Smith.

Smith managed to pull alongside of Craig heading down the front stretch on the final lap, but Craig fended off Smith’s last moment push, beating Smith by less than a wheel length.

Caughlin took the women’s Miss-N-Out title, outsprinting Doll and Tharnstrom on the final lap of the race.

The Miss-N-Out victory was Caughlin’s first individual win in Little 500 Spring Series events, adding to her previous team victories in the Team Pursuit and 2011 race.

Team Pursuit

Entering the final Spring Series event, both the men’s and women’s white jerseys were still on the line.

Black Key Bulls clinched the white jersey by placing better than Beta Theta Pi and Phi Delta Theta in the opening heats. BKB advanced to the finals, where it defeated Phi Gamma Delta to win Team Pursuit with a time of 9:16.31.

The women’s white jersey came down to the final race, with Teter and Alpha Chi Omega squaring off in the Team Pursuit with the white jersey going to the winner.

Alpha Chi Omega led early, but Teter managed to pull ahead by the fourth lap of the race and pulled away to a lead of just less than 13 seconds. Teter’s 8:16.89 finals time was the quickest women’s time of the day.