Mac DeMarco to headline Culture Shock Saturday

WIUX will present Culture Shock, an outdoor festival and concert, at noon Saturday in Dunn Meadow.

Culture Shock has been a WIUX event since the 1970s, Events Director Jen Samson said.

The events were smaller in scale, but WIUX has upheld the old tradition and expanded the event.

“We are all huge supporters of local music, and that is a key element of Culture Shock every year,” Samson said.

The committee plans to have a bounce house, art wall, food trucks and other local vendors set up. An event DJ will play music to keep the crowd entertained until 4 p.m., when a lineup of bands and musicians will begin playing.

The first band featured until 4:30 p.m. is Little Timmy McFarland of Flight 19.

IU student Daniel Talton started the band and originally performed by himself. The band expanded in 2013 to include five musicians who play guitar, drums, bass and
accordion.

Experimental musician Drekka will perform from 4:45 to 5:15 p.m. Drekka’s Facebook page describes his music as “hushed, cinematic, ambient, ethereal and industrial.”

Three-member pop band Sleeping Bag will take the stage from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m. The Bloomington-based group is made up of Dave Segedy, Tyler Smith and Glenn Meyers.
Sleeping Bag is scheduled to perform in Indianapolis, Bloomington and Muncie later this month.

Rapper Tunde Olaniran will perform from 6:45 to 7:15 p.m. at Saturday’s festival. Olaniran is a Michigan native who has released a handful of EPs, including his newest, “Yung Archetype.”

From 7:45 to 8:30 p.m., the Culture Shock crowd will hear indie rock group Royal Bangs. The Tennessee-native band has produced seven albums and released its single, “Better Run,” earlier this year.

Mac DeMarco will headline the evening with his closing performance from 9 to 10 p.m.

DeMarco is a Canadian indie rock solo artist who released his sophomore album, “Salad Days,” April 1.

Choosing DeMarco came naturally to the Culture Shock committee, Samson said. The committee met to brainstorm bands that are becoming more popular and recently released albums.

“He was always up there on the list,” Samson said. “People who hadn’t heard him before would go listen and research and come back the next week loving him.”

Running such a long event does present challenges for the WIUX committee, but none have been too hard to deal with, Samson said.

“I’m so thankful to be working with the people at WIUX,” Samson said. “We really work as a team, and I don’t feel like it’s been a super difficult process.”