IUSA swears in new administration during banquet

A new IU Student Association administration was officially sworn in Friday at the IUSA Transition Banquet.

Members of the old and incoming IUSA administrations gathered in the Tudor Room of the Indiana Memorial Union to receive awards for the year and honor the outgoing and incoming IUSA members.

After dinner was served, senior Jose Mitjavila gave his last speech as student body president to a room full of family members and IUSA friends.

“This is my biggest moment at IU,” Mitjavila said. “It’s the thing I’m gonna remember the most.”

He highlighted some of his administration’s biggest accomplishments, including additions to the Lifeline Law, the pilot program SafeRide, the transition to year-round
Culture of Care advocacy and their push to get recycling bins in every dorm room.

“I know the student body is better for it,” Mitjavila said.

After one stressful night at the IUSA office, Mitjavila said, he found himself lying on the floor with his head under his desk.

Under there, he found a quote from a former IUSA president that said, “You’re the watchdog of students from now until eternity.”

Although it was a little embellished, Mitjavila said it made him think about his responsibility as student body president.

“You get one year to do this job,” Mitjavila said. “You get one year to represent every student on campus. I realized how important my job was, and it gave me the strength to continue on and push forward because I realized the immense responsibility that I had on my shoulders.”

After Mitjavila spoke, the members of the new administration went to the front of the room and were sworn in.

Andy Braden gave his first speech as the official president of IUSA.

He spoke about the purpose of IUSA and why IUSA members are passionate about their positions.

“IUSA should be a catalyst for change,” Braden said. “It should be a mechanism through which students can see their ideas become real, see their ideal campus experience actualized and ensure students receive the experience that they are paying for.”

But he said there are “glaring issues” on campus that he has the opportunity and the responsibility to address.

“IUSA has not perfected the campus experience, nor will it ever,” Braden said. “The role is always changing and developing. We must continue to actively engage students to ensure that we are fulfilling our role on campus.”

He said he and all the IUSA members are lucky to be in the position they are.
Braden cautioned his incoming executive members to be appreciative of that
responsibility.

“Value and respect the role you play on campus,” he said. “We have the opportunity to actually do something to improve this University.”