academics & research

Ciccarelli named dean of Hutton, to take role July 1

After almost a year-long search, a new dean of the Hutton Honors College has been chosen.

Andrea Ciccarelli is currently a professor of Italian and the Department of French and Italian in the College of Arts and Sciences. Pending approval by the IU Board of Trustees, he will begin his appointment as Dean of the honors college July 1, according to an April 24 IU press release.

“It will be a challenge and responsibility to lead the Hutton Honors College at a time in which higher education seem to be focusing more on professional than on liberal arts disciplines,” Ciccarelli said.

Ciccarelli graduated with a bachelor of arts and masters of arts from the University of Rome, where he studied humanities with a focus on literary studies and art history. He received his Ph.D. in Italian studies from Columbia University.

He said he joined IU as a visiting assistant professor in 1990, right out of graduate school. He was tenured in 1997 and promoted to full professor in 2003.

According to the release, Ciccarelli’s research focuses on the classical tradition in modern Italian literature and on migration, boundaries and exile in contemporary Italian culture.

He has taught courses ranging from the Italian Renaissance to the myth of Rome in modern culture, according to the release.

“The honors college is one of the most rewarding academic jobs that a professor could aspire to in a research institution such as IU,” Ciccarelli said. “The students in the Hutton Honors College are among the best in the country, and have been and will continue to be part of the strongest fabric of our society.”

Dennis Groth is the associate vice provost for undergraduate education and was the chair of the search committee, which consisted of both IU faculty and students in the Hutton Honors College.

“I am delighted with Anderea Ciccarelli as the new dean,” Groth said. “He has immense strengths in developing rich learning experiences for students.”

Groth said he expects Ciccarelli will bring his passion for undergraduate student success to the Hutton Honors College.

Provost and Executive Vice President announced Ciccarelli’s appointment on April 24. She chose Ciccarelli from a pool of three candidates.

“Andrea will be a creative and thoughtful leader for the Hutton Honors College,” Robel said in the release. “He is highly respected by his colleagues and has an outstanding record as a scholar and as a teacher.”

Maria Bucur, associate dean of the College and Fritz Breithaupt, who had served as interim dean since July 2013,were the other two final candidates for dean.

Ciccarelli cited planning, organizing and strengthening the courses offered in the Hutton Honors College, as well as attracting the best teachers and scholars to teach for the Hutton Honors College, as some of his more short-term goals.

“One of my main goals is that of broadening as much as possible our courses offering, creating opportunities for interdisciplinary studies that connect the liberal arts, scientific disciplines and professional education,” Ciccarelli said. “This interdisciplinary approach, eventually, should prove fundamental to prepare our students to live in an ever-growing global world. It takes practical, theoretical and cultural knowledge to understand the complex interactions that compose our international society.”

He said current and future jobs will require analytical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as an appreciation for what is ethically right.

“The HHC already teaches courses that equipped our students with these intellectual weapons, and my aspiration is to outreach to all schools in our campus to form a curriculum that promotes specific research abilities, while fostering intellectual synergy,” he said.

Robel said Ciccarelli’s experience will be an asset as he takes on the role of dean of Hutton Honors College.

“His administrative experience as director of the College Arts and Humanities Institute, chair of his department and director of an active overseas study program will serve Hutton well as it moves into the next phase,” Robel said. “I am delighted that he has agreed to accept this immensely important position as the honors college is poised to become a central hub for interdisciplinary curricula on the campus.”