sports softball

Ohio State takes two of three from IU softball

Heading into the first game of a three-game series against Ohio State, IU softball Coach Michelle Gardner knew that earning the team’s first Big Ten victory of the season was going to be a challenge.

What Gardner didn’t know was that the Hoosiers would do it by scoring 11 runs during the last three innings to overcome a seven-run deficit in the first game of a doubleheader that culminated in two IU losses.

Ohio State junior pitcher Olivia O’Reilly began the game with a strong pitching effort, retiring the first five IU batters of the game, four of which by strikeout.

IU and Ohio State went into the third inning still in a scoreless game, but that wouldn’t last for long.

During the third inning, Ohio State drove in seven runs, led by a two-run home run from sophomore third baseman Jesse Machovina.

After the Ohio State offensive outburst, Gardner told the team one thing.

“Just keep battling,” she said. “I told them to focus in at the plate and to put some hits together.”

The Hoosiers did just that, ending O’Reilly’s no-hit bid in the bottom of the fifth inning with a single from IU sophomore first baseman Kassi Farmer.

After stealing second base and advancing to third after, IU sophomore catcher Kelsey Dotson reached base with a single. Farmer scored IU’s first run of the game.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, bases were loaded.Farmer hit a triple to right field, cutting the Hoosiers’ deficit to three runs.

Farmer said she knew that with the bases loaded, she was going to have an opportunity to get a hit.

“With the bases loaded, I knew there was no chance that they were going to walk me,” Farmer said. “I knew that they were going to attack the zone based off of my previous at-bats. I put it in the corner, and ended up being safe at third.”

On the next at-bat, Dotson stepped up to plate and hit a double to right center field, driving in Farmer.

Freshman outfielder Kayla Mathewson hit a single to the gap in left center field to drive in Dotson, cutting the deficit to just one run.

Facing a one-run deficit in the top of the final inning, senior infielder Breanna Saucedo singled to left field to extend her hitting streak to eight games.

With Saucedo at third, IU freshman outfielder Natalie Lalich hit a ground ball between second and third base. Ohio State’s shortstop opted to make the throw home, but it wasn’t in time. Saucedo’s score tied up the game. 

With runners on second and third, Ohio State decided to intentionally walk Farmer.
After the walk, Dotson came up to the plate with the bases loaded and two outs.

Dotson battled, hitting multiple foul balls on her way to facing a two-two count. On the next pitch, Dotson hit a shot to left field that resulted in a walk-off grand slam.

Stepping up to the plate after an intentional walk, Dotson said that she was eager to get a chance to solidify the win for IU.

“I was excited to get the opportunity,” Dotson said. “When I got the hit, I knew immediately that the ball was going out of the park.”

In the second game of the weekend, Ohio State defeated IU 12-2 in five innings.

Ohio State’s offense got off to a hot start, registering nine runs and nine hits in the first inning. The Buckeyes sparked the nine-run effort with four extra-base hits, including a two-run home run.

On a Lalich grounder to short in the bottom of the first frame, Jenna Abraham beat a throw home to score IU’s first run of the day.

In the top of the second inning, junior Caitlin Conrad registered her third hit of the day, reaching third after Ohio State designated player Melaina Saalfeld scored the 10th run of the afternoon.

After IU was unable to get anything going in the bottom of the second frame, Ohio State scored two more runs off of a Machovina single to right field.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, Saucedo drove in sophomore utility player Alyssa Rosati. Saucedo’s single extended her hitting streak to nine games.

The final game of the weekend went similarly as the second as the Hoosiers fell 10-2 in five innings.

After both teams were held scoreless in the first frame, Ohio State’s offense poured in four runs in the top of the second inning. 

In the bottom of the third inning, Saucedo hit an in-field single to extend her hitting streak to ten games.

After reaching base, Saucedo stole her 12th base of the season.

In the top of the fourth inning, Ohio State center fielder Taylor Watkins hit a solo home run over the left field wall.

After a runner reached base, junior infielder Evelyn Carrillo hit Ohio State’s second home run of the inning, giving them a seven-run lead.

Ohio State scored three runs in the top of the fifth inning and IU responded by scoring two runs off of a double from centerfielder Brianna Meyer.

The Hoosiers now have a record of 9-23-1 on the season, including 1-5 in the Big Ten.
IU will take on Indiana State at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Andy Mohr Field.