sports women's basketball

Hoosiers outrebounded by Spartans in loss

IU was completely outmuscled in its 76-56 loss to No. 21 Michigan State.
The Spartans outrebounded the Hoosiers 46-33, tied for the fifth-most rebounds by an IU opponent all season.

IU Coach Curt Miller complimented Michigan State Head Coach Suzy Merchant’s team.

“She’s got great length on her team,” Miller said.

The Hoosiers closed out the regular season losing four of their final five games, including last night’s defeat. In each of those losses, they were outrebounded by their opponent and allowed an average of 43.8 total rebounds per game
.
Similar to their other losses, those rebounds allowed for many second-chance points. Out the 46 rebounds IU allowed, 15 were offensive.

The offensive rebounding troubles for the Hoosiers began when Michigan State junior center Jasmine Hines grabbed the rebound after teammate and junior forward Becca Mills missed a layup. Hines created an opportunity for herself, but missed her own layup attempt.

Mills got the rebound off Hines’ miss, and it led to an opportunity at the free throw line for Spartans freshman forward Aerial Powers.

Powers converted both, extending Michigan State’s run to 9-0.

IU went scoreless for nearly five minutes and did not grab an offensive rebound.
Though the Hoosiers had only a 15-11 disadvantage in offensive rebounding, the gap was widened because of opportunities similar to those previously mentioned in which the Spartans took advantage.

Michigan State went on another run at the beginning of the second half.

The Spartans opened that half with an 11-2 run. Senior forward Annalise Pickrel drove down the lane and missed the layup, but the Hoosiers allowed the offensive rebound and Powers scored on her own putback.

Powers’ offensive rebound was one of her 10 total rebounds on the night. Hines finished with 11 rebounds.

The Hoosiers lost the rebounding battle in eight of their 11 losses this season. The eighth and final one occurred against Michigan State last night.