He makes us happy

Pharrell

Is 2014 Pharrell Williams causing you grief? Is “Happy” making you sad? Feeling unlucky with that Daft Punk song stuck in your head?

Have no fear, music fans. Under that stupid hat, there’s a brilliant musician who’s had an incredible career.

He’s certainly at his height in popularity right now. But those of you offended by the annoying hook and misogynistic lyrics of “Blurred Lines” will find he hit his creative peak much earlier.

The beginnings of Williams’ career go all the way back to the mid-1980s when he was in middle school. He met Chad Hugo in seventh grade at a music camp, where he played keyboard and Hugo played tenor saxophone.

Later, when they were both in high school, Williams and Hugo started a band, the Neptunes. Interscope executive Teddy Riley helped sign the band.

As the Neptunes, Williams and Hugo became a production force to be reckoned with by the late 1990s. They made connections with rap group Clipse and singer Kelis, which would be more than fruitful in the coming years.

The Neptunes wrote, composed and produced every song on Kelis’ debut “Kaleidoscope.” She kept them around, and they produced her breakthrough hit “Milkshake” in 2003.

But the Neptunes’ breakthrough year was 2001. Williams and Hugo formed a new funk/pop/rock project, N.E.R.D, and released “In Search Of ...” That album features some of the Neptunes’ finest work. Tyler, the Creator, cited it as a major influence on his production style.

In 2001 they also produced Britney Spears’ top 40 hit “I’m A Slave 4 U” and Kelis’ second album. In 2002, they produced almost all of Justin Timberlake’s debut, “Justified,” including the hits “Señorita,” “Like I Love You” and “Rock Your Body.”

By 2003, they were working with the top names in rap and R&B, including Jay Z, Beyonce, LL Cool J, Nelly and Usher. Another N.E.R.D album came in 2004, and Williams appeared on Snoop Dogg’s No. 1 hit “Drop It Like It’s Hot.”

Clipse’s critically acclaimed sophomore album “Hell Hath No Fury” came in 2006. So did Williams’ first solo album, “In My Mind,” which went to No. 3 in the United States. N.E.R.D’s third album, “Seeing Sounds,” was released in 2008.

For about a decade, Williams was riding high as one of the most sought-after collaborators in pop music. He had moments of musical genius. The Neptunes found a recipe for success with their upbeat, percussive, jazz-influenced productions.

But now, even though he’s had huge hits in the last year, Williams isn’t doing his best work. His new solo album, “G I R L,” isn’t bad, but it’s not great. It could be his gateway drug to a mediocre late career period plagued by uninspired adult
contemporary pop.

Let’s face it, every artist has to get past his prime at some point. Jay-Z has proved that. So don’t dwell on his dorky fashion choices. Revel in the Williams of pop’s past.