student life

Women’s Law Caucus raises money for local activism agencies

caCaucus Auction

Friday night, the IU Women’s Law Caucus hosted its annual auction at the KRC Banquet Hall downtown, opening its attendees to a vast array of possible prizes and raising thousands of dollars for victims of abuse.

The elaborate prizes included joining Professor Charles Geyh on a culinary tour of Africa, having an authentic Italian dinner with Professor Ken Turchi, enjoying a behind-the-scenes tour of the Indianapolis Zoo with Professor Fred Cate and shooting hoops in IU’s historic Assembly Hall.

“The reason I do it and the reason that so many of my colleagues do it is it gives us a chance to hang out with our students outside the classroom doing something completely fun, or silly or unrelated to class,” Professor Ryan Scott, one of three auctioneers, said.

The event, which was open to law students, professors and faculty, was a silent and live auction fundraiser. The auction has been going on for more than 20 years, and between 200 and 250 people attended this year.

This year the money raised will go to the Middle Way House and the Protective Order Project.

Professors donate their time and money to provide 22 packages for the live auction portion, and there are more than 50 silent auction prizes donated by businesses and individuals in the community.

Prizes went on to include a Vera Bradley lunch tote, a basketball signed by IU Coach Tom Crean, spa packages and gift cards to restaurants and beauty shops.
Rachel Collins, a second-year law student, bid on an Ultimate Nerd Game Night with
Professor Scott and won it for four friends who couldn’t be there.

“I think it’s a great cause that the law school students can come out and raise money for,” she said. “Also, several of my really good friends planned it, and I wanted to come out and support all the hard work they had done.”

While the auction allows for low-stress interactions between students and professors, the proceeds go to help fund the Middle Way House.

The Middle Way House provides 24-hour general crisis intervention service to citizens in Monroe County, and most of the people who come in are victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.

It grants emergency shelter, childcare and prevention programs.

The remainder of the proceeds benefits the Protective Order Project.

POP is a student-run organization in the Maurer School of Law. It assists survivors of domestic violence who cannot afford legal counsel in seeking protective orders.

Last year, the event raised more than $12,000 for these victims.

“I think the most important part is it’s a good example of students and professors working together for the Bloomington community,” co-chairwoman Lizzie Conkle said.
“It’s really interesting to see the students and professors interacting, and most of the law school students look forward to it every year.” 

Follow reporter Grace Palmieri on Twitter at @grace_palmieri.