WIUX nominated one of nation's best

CAROUSEL1entWIUX

MTV recognized IU’s student-operated radio station WIUX this week as one of the nation’s best college radio stations.

WIUX was nominated for a 2014 mtvU College Radio Woodie Award for its contributions to campus listeners, making it one of the top 10 college radio stations in the country.

Fellow nominees include stations from schools including Ball State University, Eastern Illinois University and the University of Illinois.

“This recognition is a big deal for WIUX, as we are a huge representation of Indiana University,” WIUX General Manager Bari Finkel said. “It is great support not only for (the) station, but for the school as well.”

99.1 WIUX is operated entirely by student volunteers and DJs. It plays music sent in from students, promoters, broadcast news and weather in the Bloomington area.

MTV has its own university branch on its website that allows listeners to hear other college radio stations streaming online.

The MTV site conducted a poll to gather votes for the award, and IU’s station made its first year, placing in the top 10. Nominations were based on the number of votes and panels to verify the placement of each college radio station.

“What makes WIUX so special is how they are able to make things happen for students by getting them so engaged with our services,” WIUX Programming Director Harlan Kelly said. “We have a great representation on campus with how welcoming it is, so this small time appreciation by students must be leaking out in the world for it to be so well known.”

Since they are not licensed to play top 40 music, WIUX DJs broadcast a wide variety of music ranging from indie, soul and R&B, to DJ-curated playlists — including Disney or childhood songs not normally played on other radio stations.

“We really try to harbor our own sense of community with Bloomington and IU and with one another and set us apart from other stations,” Finkel said. “WIUX is known for representing a voice that isn’t heard in other radio stations.”

Besides playing music, WIUX radio personalities also cover IU sporting events. It was the only station to broadcast the Little 500 race last year.

They also have a news team to cover downtown events in Bloomington and other stories in the region. On Wednesday and Friday mornings, they have a newscast with their directors, reviewing news not usually covered by other stations.

WIUX volunteers use their experience to help students become more involved with campus activities.

“We give students the opportunity to plan events and run an organization as students,” Kelly said. “Not to mention the music we play is based upon recommendations from IU students.”

Kelly said working for WIUX is sometimes difficult, but it is a highlight of his college career.

“Working for WIUX has been one of my favorite parts of going to IU,” Kelly said. “It has given me hard but necessary experience and has really well prepared me for my
professional life.”

Follow reporter Anthony Broderick on Twitter @aebrodakirck.