student life

Sorority organizes panel for sexuality

Students pulled up chairs in a lounge at Teter Quad to ask anonymous questions about sex to members of Sigma Lambda Gamma, Phi Beta Sigma and Sigma Gamma Inc. Thursday.

Sigma Lambda Gamma members organized the discussion in anticipation of Valentine’s Day.

“We thought this event would be good in time for Valentine’s Day,” Brandy Tillman, a junior member of Sigma Lambda Gamma, said. “We decided an educational perspective on the issue, and to talk about it anonymously would be good.”

Sigma Lambda Gamma hoped to bring a diverse group of student voices to the event, but struggled with cancellations from volunteers.

Panelist and IU junior Marselis Byers of Phi Beta Sigma said he really enjoyed the event because he loves talking to people and sex is a fun thing to talk about.

“There’s a lot of misinformation in the world and misconceptions,” Byers said. “People getting together and having legitimate, mature discussion is always going to help.”
Holly Juaruz, an audience member from the Latino sorority Sigma Gamma Inc., came to show support for her sisters on the panel. However, she said she also came away with a new perspective.

“The event showed people standing in different places regarding this topic because of how they grew up, the media, or who they hang out with,” Juaruz said. “People have different beliefs and that’s not wrong.”

After debates about what defines a slut, what counts as sex and if it’s OK to have sex with an ex, Byers and Tillman said the most beneficial part of the evening was hearing from the opposite sex.

“Hearing opinions of women is always valuable,” Byers said. “I hope they do it again.”
Tillman purposely put questions into the anonymous pool to find out what men thought about women in relationships.

“I found out a lot about how guys feel about girls and how we have differences on like what they view a ho is,” Tillman said. “It gave me insight on the male perspective so that helped me a lot.”

Sigma Lambda Gamma is planning a breast cancer awareness event Friday at the Indiana Memorial Union from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Anyone is welcome to get goodies and make donations.

“Sex is becoming more prevalent in our society,” Tillman said. “The more we talk about sex the safer it becomes because people won’t be afraid to ask questions.”

Follow reporter Suzanne Grossman on Twitter @suzannepaige6.