Sexual assault probe part of new changes to Lifeline Law

The Lifeline Law has been unanimously amended to include a state-funded report that evaluates sexual assault and underreporting of cases in Indiana.

“Based upon current reporting rates of sexual assault, it is obvious that across the state sexual assault is a problem,” IUSA President Jose Mitjavila said.

“Especially on college campuses like our own. But, what is unclear are the number of unreported cases and circumstances in which rape cases occur.”

Rep. Christina Hale, D-Indianapolis, proposed this amendment to Senate Bill 227 at the most recent committee hearing for the bill.

Hale participated in last week’s WIBC radio show about the Lifeline Law with Mitjavila and Sen. Jim Merritt, R-Indianapolis. 

Hale said the purpose of an in-depth study of sexual assault in Indiana is to determine causes of unreported rapes in Indiana and prevent them from happening, according to notes from the hearing provided by the IU Office of Government Relations. 

“The connection to the bill can be best explained by the example of an underage female who is raped and has alcohol in her system, then chooses to not report the rape because she was drinking underage,” Hale said.

The time course of the study has yet to be determined.

Though no one can say what this deeper investigation of sexual assault in Indiana will bring, Mitjavila said there is a possibility it could increase the statute of limitations on a rape in Indiana.

Indiana’s statute of limitations is five years, one of the shortest in the country.
The final reading, which will determine if the bill goes through or not, has yet to be announced.

However, it will occur before March 3, the final day for third readings of Senate bills.
“The impact of this amendment will be felt by campus and students in the near future,” Mitjavila said.

Follow reporter
Dani Castonzo
on Twitter
@Dani_Castonzo.