IUSA proposes Lifeline Law changes

CAROUSELcaLifeline

IU Student Association proposed amendments to the Indiana Lifeline Law on Jan. 22 that expand the language to apply to victims of sexual assault and other crimes, as well as situations involving underage drinking.

The Lifeline Law is a protective law in Indiana that provides immunity for intoxicated minors calling police on the behalf of an intoxicated individual.

The Senate Judiciary Committee heard SB 227 Jan. 22. It passed with a unanimous
9-0 vote.

“First and foremost, we hope to increase instances of 911 being called in life threatening situations related to drinking, drug overdose, sexual assault and crime in general,” IUSA President Jose Mitjavila said. “Students under the age of 21 should not have to feel afraid of making the call in life-threatening situations.”

Members of IUSA have been working on SB 227 with Sen. Jim Merritt, R-Indianapolis, and Attorney General Greg Zoeller for the past year to add these provisions to the lifeline law.

IUSA Vice President of Administration Chris Kauffman testified in support of the bill at the Senate hearing.

“This past semester, the IU community lost several young students, two of them freshman women,” Kauffman said in his testimony. “What inhibited a swift call for action? While we may never have answers for the tragedies that cause
immense grief for families and communities, we do know that barriers to reporting still exist.”

Mitjavila said this law would particularly benefit IU because of its prominent underage drinking culture.

“We have a large population of students who are under the age of 21 and partake in drinking at parties,” Mitjavila said.

The original Lifeline Law, which passed during the 2012 Indiana General Assembly legislative session, provides immunity for public intoxication, minor possession, minor consumption and minor transport to people who sought medical assistance for a person suffering from an alcohol-related health emergency.  
“The goal is not to condone underage drinking but to acknowledge that mistakes are made — mistakes which should not cost the life of a young Hoosier,” Kauffman and Mitjavila wrote in a letter to the executives of other student governments in the state, urging them to support this motion.

After its approval, a clause was added to make it effective immediately.

The bill will go to the full Senate to be voted on in late February or early March. If approved, it will immediately take effect, Mitjavila said.

“With more encompassing language and added protection to both the caller and victim, we hope to see increases in reporting,” Mitjavila said.

Follow reporter Dani Castonzo on Twitter @Dani_Castonzo.