IUSA considers new Congress, Google Glass

IU Student Association members discussed Google Glass, IUanyWare and new Congress members at this week’s executive meeting.

IUSA plans to order Google Glass, a pair of glasses that displays a screen to the eyes and operates with a touch screen and voice command, for use on campus.

Google Glass costs $1,500, and IUSA said they will order only one pair at this time.

Students plan to use the advanced technology to develop software, Chief of Technology Trey Weeks said.

“It’s gonna be a type of software that not a lot of other universities have access to,” Weeks said.

Weeks said the order should be in this week, and will be available for student use in a month or so.

At the last meeting, senior and Vice President of Congress Scott Borer said he had to fire some Congress members who weren’t showing up to meetings.

Six of those spots have been filled as of Wednesday’s meeting.

Members also discussed IUanyWare, which Weeks said is an unused technological resource through UITS.

IUanyWare allows students to access IU-licensed software without needing to install them, according to iuware.iu.edu.

Services include the ability to print through any printer on campus from student phones or laptops.

The service has been around for the last three or four years, but members said the resource that was not well advertised.

They said it could be especially useful during midterms and finals week.

IUSA members agreed to try and spread this information to students, especially freshmen.

“It’s our responsibility to tell students about this useful resource,” Chief of Staff Dia Sharma said.

Follow reporter
Dani Castonzo on Twitter
@Dani_Castonzo.