administration

IUB summer tuition discount dropped

The Bloomington campus won't receive a renewal of IU’s summer tuition discount, according to a press release issued today.

The discount, which began in 2012 and was extended for all other IU campuses, will provide a 25-percent discount to Indiana resident undergraduate students who will take classes during the summer as well as an equivalent dollar reduction for those students from out of state.

The discount will no longer be in effect in Bloomington, but will be replaced with a flat rate for a high number of classes in the summer semester.

A flat attendance rate for summer semesters at the Bloomington campus accounts for the change.

Many satellite campuses, however, have seen an increase in their attendance for their summer semester.

Currently, the flat rate for students who attend classes during the fall and spring semesters is 17 credit hours. Under the new rate, students will be able to take 18 credit hour course load with no additional fees.  

The policy will go into effect fall 2014.

Both policies are part of an effort by IU to encourage students to graduate within four years.

"We are continually looking for the most effective ways to provide economic value to our students and their families and to promote on-time graduation across all of our campuses," said IU Vice President and Chief Financial Officer MaryFrances McCourt.

Under the new plan, an IU resident student who is taking 18 credits per semester would save around $284 per semester when compared to the current cost of taking as many credit hours. Non-residents would save almost $1,000.

"The summer tuition discount and increase in the flat-fee cap speak louder than words," said John Applegate, IU executive vice president for university academic affairs. "University-wide, IU is firmly committed to supporting our students by increasing affordability and completion rates, and reducing time to degree. We are committed to experimenting with a range of creative approaches, and adopting those that show promise of helping us to meet these goals."

Katherine Schulze