student life

IU students speed date for fundraiser

Two rows of chairs lined the center of the room. Boys sat on the right, girls on the left.
Each pair faced one another. Time after time, the clock was set for three minutes.

Ready, set, date.

Students in IU’s black community came together Tuesday night for the first Cupid Shuffle Speed Dating Charity Benefit.

Tierra Griffin, president of the Tau chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, said the idea for the event came from the Women of Color Leadership Institute. They joined with the Gamma Eta chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity, the Tau chapter of AKA and the Alpha chapter of Kappa Alpha Phi for the event.

Lucretia Black, president of the WCLI, said they discussed a date auction as well as speed dating.

“We had representatives from each organization get together with women of color to kind of give our perspective and expertise and just provide any help with planning that they needed,” Griffin said.

Pre-sale tickets were $3, and tickets at the door were $5. Non-perishable food items and feminine hygiene products were also accepted.

All proceeds will go to a multitude of charities such as Relay for Life and Keep a Child Alive.

Black said this first-time event was most importantly a way to give back to the community.

“Anything that we can do for public service is really important to the WCLI,” she said.
For the speed dating segment of the event, everyone was given a paper heart. They had three minutes to meet and talk to the person sitting in front of them. The first three couples to match the number on their heart to their partner’s heart were rewarded with
a prize.

People who met during speed dating mingled to talk more in depth after a few rounds.
“I wanted to up my social skills, get out there and meet new people,” IU student Kiara Spells said.

The night included introductions of the organizations and volunteers who helped to plan the event and videos advertising some of the charities.

Griffin said everyone who attended was giving back to their community.

“Any time we can provide any type of service or any charitable event to give back to
that organization we’re really happy to do so,” she said. “We’re just happy to help.”

Follow reporter Grace Palmieri on Twitter @grace_palmieri.