student life

Hutton career program to form student group

Hutton Honors College is in the process of adding another career service to campus.
Nick Miller, an academic and career adviser at Hutton, leads the effort to begin career programming and services through the honors college.

“With Hutton, we’re always trying to have more one-on-one interaction,” he said. “Rather than working as one of 40,000 students, you work as one of 4,000.”

A team of six members will work with Miller to start the career programming. Five will be part of a student group, and the sixth will be a Hutton faculty member.

Student member applications are due next Tuesday. Miller said he plans to form the group by the end of February.

Hutton plans to work with existing career services offices to supplement honors students with exclusive opportunities, Miller said.

Miller, who began work in his newly-created position in December 2013, described his job as “55 percent academic, 40 percent career and five percent other.”

Plans for honors career programming began sometime last year. Miller said he’s noticed a heightened focus on campus about careers.

Once programming begins at Hutton, the honors college will work with other career services on campus through monthly counsel meetings.

“It would be crazy of me to imagine that I wouldn’t want to take advantage of these things,” he said.

Miller said he hopes he can also contact alumni to meet with honors students.
“To me, alumni and recruitment go hand in hand,” he said.

Seven honors students gathered Tuesday in the Great Room at Hutton for what Miller described as an informal interview process and discussion.

The students discussed ideas for future programming, including the prospects of monthly emails, honors-only career fairs and alumni networking events.

They also showed an interest in activities geared toward younger students.

“Being a young kid, it’s hard to nail down stuff like that,” freshman Kyle McGuire said.
All seven students attending the meeting were business students. Miller, who studied English and worked in publishing before coming to IU, said he thinks it’s important to give some attention to broader majors such as English and history.

Programming is expected to start by the end of this semester.

Although Miller will work closely with the five students on his committee, he said he hopes all honors students feel they can contribute and that his door is always open to them.

“I’m just one of a thousand people shouting and waving, looking for feedback,” he said.