sports softball

Hoosiers continue nine game slide

The IU softball team traveled to Atlanta to play five games during the Panther Invitational this weekend.

IU was unable to register a victory, bringing the team’s record to 1-9 and extending the losing streak to nine games.

Despite the weekend’s struggles, IU Coach Michelle Gardner was encouraged by the team’s effort.

“The team battled,” Gardner said. “When you aren’t seeing success it becomes difficult. We just need to keep pushing forward.”

The Hoosiers began the weekend with a matchup Friday against Georgia State.

In the bottom of the first inning, IU faced an early deficit after Georgia State junior first baseman Lauren Coleman hit a three-run home run to left field.

The Hoosiers were unable to register a hit until sophomore infielder Kassi Farmer hit a double in the top of the fourth.

Georgia State extended the lead to five runs before IU scored six runs in the top of the fifth to give them the first lead of the game. 

Sophomore infielder Michelle Huber put the first run of the game on the board for the Hoosiers after hitting a solo home run over the right-center wall. Huber also registered a career-high three RBIs during Friday’s game.

The comeback attempt didn’t last long for IU as Georgia State drove in nine runs in the bottom of the fifth inning. The game was called after the fifth and the Panthers secured a 14-6 win.

During the first game of Saturday’s double-header, IU fell to Georgia State 5-1.
With two outs in the bottom of the first inning, Georgia Tech scored the first two runs of the game.
The Yellow Jacket lead remained at two runs until sophomore infielder Maddie Lionberger hit a two-run home run to extend the lead to four runs.

IU senior infielder Breanna Saucedo hit a single in the top of the sixth inning. Saucedo would score IU’s only run of the game off of an error later in the inning.

Shortly after the conclusion of the Georgia Tech game, IU faced off against the University of Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks. The Hoosiers lost the third game of the weekend 7-1.

The Skyhawks took an early 4-0 lead in the first inning and never looked back. IU junior pitcher Lora Olson was taken out of the game after allowing five runs during 2.1 innings of work. Sophomore pitcher Brooke Boetjer came in to relieve Olson.

Boetjer struck out a career-high nine batters during the 4.2 innings she pitched.
Saucedo scored the team’s only run of the game off of a wild pitch.

During the first game on Sunday, the Hoosiers faced Georgia State, whom they had lost to Friday.

Although the rematch was closer than the first game, IU lost 4-3.

The Hoosiers had an early lead, fueled by senior outfielder Jenna Abraham’s two-run home run during the second inning. The Panthers led a four-run comeback, which included a three-run home run by junior first baseman Lauren Coleman.

IU wrapped up the weekend losing to East Tennessee State 6-0.

Both teams failed to score during the first five innings until East Tennessee State was able to score six runs during the final two innings.

Boetjer started the game and struck out five batters, giving her 30 strikeouts through the first 10 games of the season.

Gardner said despite early season struggles, she is still seeing improvement in every game.

“We need to believe in what we are doing,” she said. “We have to stick to the game plan. While we didn’t win this weekend, we did a lot of things a lot better. The season is way too long to get discouraged after a few tough games.”

Abraham said the team has done a good job at sticking together despite the adversity they have faced early in the year.

“We’ve done a good job staying together,” Abraham said. “We did a good job competing, especially on Sunday. We just need to keep playing together.”