sports softball

Hoosier softball team seeks to break losing streak

After starting the season with a record of 1-9, which includes a nine-game losing streak, the IU softball team is looking to improve in the Lipton Invitational.

The Hoosiers will face off against Coastal Carolina, No. 1 Florida, Georgia Southern and Troy.

IU Coach Michelle Gardner said the key for this weekend is to play solid all-around games on both offense and defense.

“We need good pitching, defense and we need to score some runs,” Gardner said. “We need to put some hits together. We have been hitting OK this season, we just haven’t had timely hits.”

The Hoosiers start the competition Friday against Coastal Carolina, who is off to a 5-1 start this season.

Carolina averages almost six runs per game this season after averaging just more than three runs per game through the first six games last year.

Junior third baseman Kory Hayden leads Coastal Carolina with five home runs this season, while sophomore outfielder Bri Chiusano has a six-game hitting streak.
The Hoosiers will play Florida on Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

Florida is currently 12-0, which includes a 9-4 win against No. 5 Michigan.

Florida’s three starting pitchers each have a 4-0 record.

Haeger, who has the lowest estimated run average on the team of 0.78, also leads the teams with five home runs and is second on the team in hits with 14.

Gardner said although Florida is a good team, facing the Gators is no different than playing against some of the top teams in the Big Ten.

“The bottom line is that competing against Florida isn’t much different than competing against teams like Michigan,” she said. “It doesn’t matter what jersey the opposing team is wearing. We need to take care of our business. The rest will take care of itself.”

IU will face Georgia Southern in the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader.

Their early season success can partially be attributed to the team’s defensive performance. Georgia Southern is allowing an opposing batting average of .189 while allowing just 15 runs.

The Hoosiers wrap up the weekend against Troy University.

Troy has a 4-5-1 record, including a 17-0 victory against Savannah State last weekend.

IU senior infielder Breanna Saucedo, who leads the Hoosiers in hits and runs scored, said the team needs to take things an inning at a time in order to be successful this weekend.

“We need to focus on our goals,” Saucedo said. “We need to win innings and individual at-bats. We need to take small victories as they come.”

Follow reporter Dan Matney on Twitter @Dan_Matney