student life

Eco-project teaches local children

CAROUSELcaGardeningInitiative

A local woodlands project is growing much like the plants volunteers are
restoring.

The Fruits of the Forest initiative is a new addition to the Bloomington Urban Woodlands Project, a partnership between IU, Monroe County Identify and Reduce Invasive Species, the Sassafras Audubon Society and City of Bloomington Parks and
Recreation, to educate and involve the public in plant restoration and invasive species removal. The initiative involves school children in the restoration of Dunn’s Woods and Harmony School’s campus.

The Urban Woodlands Project has also partnered with the Monroe County Identify and Remove Invasive Species organization and local nursery retailers to provide information about native and exotic plants to customers, IU Biology professor Heather Reynolds said, in order to shift consumer preferences.

“Our long-term goal is to expand our network of urban woodlands throughout Bloomington,” Reynolds said.

Students involved in Fruits of the Forest will plant trees native to Indiana in Dunn’s Woods and Harmony School’s campus. Christian said species include American hazelnut, American plum and red mulberry trees.  

The plants are edible and will be used in activities geared toward the younger students, Christian said, such as making snacks and tie-dying shirts. She said they also hope to send students home with persimmon trees to plant.

The planting process will include emphasis on organic cultivation techniques, Reynolds said. Instead of using pesticides to stop weeds from growing, twigs, leaves and mulch can be placed around plants. She said this method also helps hold moisture and add nutrients to the soil.

Christian is currently working with 13 students between 7th and 12th grade who mentor elementary students during the planting process as well as one elementary school class twice a month during the school day.

Christian said the older students will incorporate educational benefits while teaching younger students.

“Teaching is the best way to solidify ideas,” Christian said.

Reynolds and graduate student Natalie Christian came up with the idea last year and applied for a grant from the George E. Archer foundation in the fall. They received a $2,100 grant in December, Christian said.

The Urban Woodlands Project also received funding from the Toyota TogetherGreen foundation, a partnership between Toyota and the National Audubon Society, prior to Reynolds’ and Christian’s coming up with the idea for Fruits of the Forest, Christian said.

“Fruits of the Forest supports our educational initiative,” Reynolds said.
The Urban Woodlands Project is currently working on restoration of Dunn’s and Latimer woods, Reynolds said. Volunteers can join the project on restoration days to remove the invasive species and plant native ones. Winter sessions are held in area greenhouses.

Reynolds said a new initiative has started restoration in two Bloomington neighborhoods. Somax and Arder Place were chosen by the Urban Woodlands Project to teach residents about invasive species and restoring native plants in the
neighborhoods.

All Bloomington residents may help with the project. However, there was only enough funding for two neighborhoods, Reynolds said.

Christian said working with the children on this project is a great motivator.

“I’ve never worked with children before,” she said. “They have a lot of energy, and it gets me excited to get up and share my knowledge with them, and they are so enthusiastic to share knowledge.”

Reynolds said she is glad to have the project reach out to children as well.

“It’s wonderful,” she said. “It’s an opportunity to share the value and special qualities of our urban nature that touches our lives in so many ways with the next
generation.”

Follow reporter Emily Ernsberger on Twitter @emilyernsberger.