City budget approved despite opposition

The Indiana Department of Local Government Finance approved Bloomington Township’s 2014 Budget despite protests from 17 residents regarding salary raises for top officials.

On Sept. 9, 2013, these residents filed a formal petition to be received by the township. The petition protested salary increases for Trustee Lillian Henegar, Deputy Trustee Lisa Philips and Senior Caseworker Carilyn Dillman.

The petition also opposed contracts that provide fire department services to Benton and Washington townships with taxpayer money.

The Bloomington Township Board passed the budget plan Sept. 26, 2013, and it was approved by the Indiana Department of Local Government Finance on Feb. 6. The approved budget increased Henegar and Philips’ salaries by roughly 11 percent.

Dillman’s salary also increased based on an increase from 30 hours of work per week to 40 hours.

Specifically, Henegar’s salary rose from $40,186 in 2013 to $44,898, Philips’ from $36,400 to $41,600 and Dillman’s from $32,164 to $41,010.

The residents called the trustee and deputy trustee increases “excessive,” while other taxing units in the county are providing 2-percent increases, according to the petition.

Protesters said the caseworker’s salary increase is within line with that of other employees.

However, they argue all of these salaries are based on a 40-hour week, though the township office is only open 30 hours per week. The office is open from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

In her response to the petition, Henegar argued that the salaries were increased to be more in line with comparable positions in other county townships. She cited the Van Buren trustee’s salary in 2013, which was $44,900, and the Perry Township deputy trustee’s, which was $47,362.

Henegar also claimed a sufficient salary is necessary to attract a qualified manager.

The Bloomington Township deputy trustee serves as office manager, overseeing day-to-day operations.

Similarly, Henegar called the township’s office hours “comparable” to other county townships.

“The Township staff work seven to eight hours a day for the township,” she said. “The office is closed from noon to 1 p.m. in order to allow staff uninterrupted time to work on cases and other responsibilities as well as to eat lunch. Even when the doors are closed, staff is working for the township.”

Dillman returns to a 40-hour workweek in 2014, Henegar said. Therefore, the caseworker’s salary has been raised to be consistent with the lowest-paid Perry Township caseworker.

The fourth and fifth points of the residents’ petition protested the use of taxpayer funds to provide fire services to other townships, specifically Benton and Washington townships, unless there is an equal return in monetary support to the Bloomington Township.

“The Washington and Benton Township fire contracts allow us to help ensure the residents of those townships receive adequate fire and emergency services while enabling the township to retain three paid career firefighters on every shift and ensuring the quality of service for all three townships,” Henegar said.

The residents argued taxpayer funds could be put toward the Bloomington Township and not benefit other townships with much lower tax levies and rates. However, Henegar argues the contracts provide a critical service to the other townships, even if they are expensive.