student life

Women-centered fitness program starts IU chapter

IU sophomore Alissa Becker was browsing through Facebook when something stood out to her.

One of her friends posted about a new fitness organization that emphasizes women’s health and fitness.

After reaching out to the friend and asking how to get involved, Becker applied to become an ambassador for CHAARG — Changing Health, Attitudes and Actions to Recreate Girls — at IU.

“I really wanted to bring CHAARG to IU because I’ve always had this huge passion for health, wellness and fitness,” said Becker, an exercise science major. “I want to show that to other girls and help them find other ways to find their fit, and bring this new support system for college-aged girls.”

CHAARG is a national student organization that started two years ago at Ohio State University.

It has expanded to nine universities, including University of Michigan and Xavier University.

The organization hopes to expand to five or six universities each semester, according to its website.

After Becker began working as ambassador last semester, she went through training with an adviser to put together an executive team and recruit new members.

Since then, IU CHAARG has recruited 60 members and has almost 300 ‘likes’ on Facebook.

Elise Madrick, a junior majoring in human development and CHAARG event coordinator, said she was instantly interested in joining when she heard about CHAARG coming to IU.

“CHAARG is all about health, fitness and making girls feel great about themselves,” Elise said. “It is important that college girls feel confident and empowered, and CHAARG is the perfect place to start.”

IU CHAARG members have recently been tweeting the number of miles they run at the gym along with #runCHAARG for their national CHAARG challenge.

Members are eligible to win Nike merchandise for each mile they run.

CHAARG members plan to have events once a week come February.

These will include welcome events where the members can meet and talk to one another and fitness activities such as CrossFit, yoga and Zumba.

“(We) plan on different exercise classes that put you in a mindset of not just getting on the elliptical for your workout, and get you out of your comfort zone,” Becker said.

Members of CHAARG plan to organize the events from 7 to 8 p.m. and from 8 to 9 p.m. every Monday this semester.

“When you’re at school, you feel like it’s hard to make time for working out with classes,” said Natalie Muoio, a junior majoring in public health and CHAARG secretary. “We have it set for them every Monday night. Each exec member will have their own small group, and we’ll plan exercises that are easier to fit everyone’s schedule.”

Sophomore Hannah Kappes, a new CHAARG member, said she saw CHAARG as a chance to make new friends.

“I wanted to meet other girls on campus that had the same desire as I did — to obtain a healthy, active lifestyle,” Kappes said.

CHAARG will have an informational meeting at 7 p.m. Jan. 29 at Woodlawn Field.
There will be a one mile “fun run” followed by an informational meeting.

“I hope to see CHAARG take off within the next year,” Becker said. “IU CHAARG girls can empower and inspire one another, and build a support system for their health and wellness. I am excited to show up to the gym and see CHAARG taking over with girls who want to balance their life and take care of their health.”