Three Hoosiers earn Big Ten honors

Freshmen swimmers Gia Dalesandro and Anze Tavcar earned Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors this week, and senior Darian Schmidt was named the Big Ten Diver of the Week.

In last weekend’s sweep of Iowa, Illinois and Missouri, Dalesandro won both the 200-medley relay and the 200-individual medley.  Her win in the 200 IM came in at 2:03.80.

Dalesandro teamed with sophomore Brooklynn Snodgrass, senior Bronwyn Paslowski and senior Kait Flederbach to win the 200-medley relay in 1:41.22.  Dalesandro also placed second in the 100-meter butterfly.  This is her third Freshman of the Week honor.

Tavcar had three wins last weekend, earning him his first Freshman of the Week award.  He swam leadoff for the 400-meter freestyle relay team, which took first with a time of 2:59.34.

Tavcar also won the 50-meter and 100-meter freestyle events. He had a personal best time of 20.18 seconds in the 50-meter freestyle and was just .12 seconds away from breaking his own team-leading time of 44.09 seconds in the 100-meter freestyle. Both times are NCAA B-cuts.
Schmidt was named Big Ten Diver of the Week for the sixth time in his career and the second time this season.  

He was first in the 3-meter competition with a score of 455.75 and just missed beating his school record of 460.20.

His score was nearly 100 points better than the second-place finisher. He also took third in the 1-meter competition with 335 points.

Though the men’s team gets a week off, the women are back in action this weekend as they take on in-state Big Ten rival Purdue at Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center.

-Grace Palmieri