academics & research

Religion consortium to launch at IU

IU announced that it will launch the Consortium for the Study of Religion, Ethics and Society, a conglomeration of several IU departments and faculty that will work toward furthering research in and among those departments.

The consortium will explore the connections between religious ideas and ethical, societal and cultural topics.

Apart from the religion department, faculty from the IU School of Medicine and the Maurer School of Law, among others, will make research and discussion possible, IU Vice President for Research Jorge José said in a press release.

The partnership among what could be several hundred faculty members will stretch across both regional and core campuses.

“The College is proud to be the academic home of one of the most innovative departments of religious studies in the country,” Larry Singell, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said.  

Lisa Sideris, associate professor in the COAS Department of Religious Studies, will be the consortium’s first director.

“As a scholar within the study of religion and ethics, I am very excited about the opportunities for collaboration and multidisciplinary research that the consortium will foster here at IU and at the national and international level,” she said in a press
release.

“I am impressed by the hard work and planning...and I look forward to a fruitful and stimulating partnership across IU’s campuses.”

— Anicka Slachta