food

Pizza with pizzazz

Pizza 3

Few art forms cause as much salivation as a pizza. With deep dish, thin crust, red sauce, white sauce and hundreds of possible toppings, a perfect pie is always an adventure. If you’re looking to explore a little further than your local pizza place, here are some creations you can make at home.

FRUIT PIZZA

Crust: Sugar cookie

Sauce: Cream cheese frosting

Toppings: Strawberry, kiwi, blueberry and other fruits

Maybe it’s not a main course, but a fruit pizza hits the spot for a snack or dessert. If you have a sweet tooth and a love of all things fruity, this one is for you. Use less sugar in the cream cheese frosting if you want to cut the sweetness. 

Keep in mind that even though the recipe includes fruit, the sugar cookie crust and cream cheese limit the healthiness of this pie.

VEG ON VEG ON VEG

Crust: Shredded zucchini crust

Sauce: Basil pesto

Toppings: Any of your favorite vegetables

Looking for a crossover between your two favorite parts of a pizza buffet? This dish combines the concept of pizza with ingredients on a salad bar for the ultimate veggie experience. 

The crust is made from a large shredded zucchini, two eggs and two cups of cheese. Bake the crust in a 450-degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, let it cool and pile on the greens.

FIESTA PIZZA

Crust: Toasted tortilla

Sauce: Refried beans or salsa

Toppings: Ground beef, Mexican blend cheeses and pico de gallo

Turn any boring study night into a party with this quick and easy recipe. Toast the tortilla in a hot oven before loading up the toppings in order to maximize crunchiness. Don’t go overboard with salsa. You don’t want a soggy crust. 

If beef isn’t your thing, top the pizza with chicken. If you want to leave out the meat completely, substitute some sauteed peppers and onions instead.