arts community events

Marriage ceremony part of PRIDE Festival

entPrideDance

Local drag queen Pat Yo Weave took the stage dancing in her leotard and stage makeup.

Pat Yo Weave and dance partner Argenta Perón opened for the dance party organized for  Bloomington PRIDE Film Festival on Saturday night.

The Bloomington PRIDE Film Festival, an annual event supporting Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer arts and lifestyles, started Thursday and lasted through the weekend.

Festivities included screenings of films about LGBTQ life experiences, an LGBTQ wedding and a dance party.

The symbolic wedding, called the “Celebration of Love”, was the second annual LGBTQ wedding performed during the PRIDE festival.

Couples participated in the “Celebration of Love” event on Thursday evening at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Although the State of Indiana does not currently recognize same-sex unions, the symbolic celebration received international attention in 2013.

Festival organizers also planned a dance party at the Buskirk-Chumley, which  started at 10:30 p.m. and went until 2 a.m. on Saturday night.

Indianapolis DJ AriAtari performed at the dance party, which was open to all ages.

“The dance party has been going on for years, and it’s such a fun way to celebrate queer culture and the freedom to be ourselves,” PRIDE Festival Director Abby Henkel said. “We had such a fun time planning it, especially our volunteer Keith Romaine who has been with PRIDE for 11 years and always does a great job dreaming up new decorations.”

Romaine curated a wide variety of song selections ranging from pop to dance music, as well as a Lady Gaga-themed dance.

Free food was donated by the Village Deli, Laughing Planet, Soma and Bloomingfoods.

High school students, college students and community members were all in attendance.

“We had amazing makeup on the performers and stage decorations that helped transform the theater into the likeliness of a giant gay club,” Henkel said.
On the other side of town, the Back Door played host to an after-dance party at midnight for people 21 and older.

The after-party was packed, with a full dance party featuring DJ Pixie.

Bloomington drag show performers performed at the Back Door.

Pat Yo Weave and Argenta Perón returned, with Chicago performer Marissa Nichole joining as well.

“This is my first time attending these Bloomington PRIDE festivities, and I must say I am simply proud to be a part of such a supportive area,” said Indianapolis native Josh Huntley. “By everyone coming here, we are spreading pride for the queer population of Indiana so people can love themselves and support for others to love them as well.”