administration

IU officials respond to sexual assault statistics

President Barack Obama is boosting federal efforts to respond to and prevent campus sexual assaults, an issue IU officials claim is already a top University priority.

In a memorandum signed Jan. 22, Obama instructed the creation of the White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault to help support universities’ procedures and resources addressing campus sexual assaults.

One in five college students have been sexually assaulted, while only 12 percent of victims reported the assault, according to a recent report by the White House Council on Women and Girls.

At IU-Bloomington, security statistics released in the Annual Security & Fire Safety Reports showed 58 sex offenses were reported in 2012, preceded by 28 in 2011 and 34 in 2010.

However, these numbers include only on-campus sexual assaults or those occurring in University-operated or adjacent property.

Jason Casares, associate dean of students and director of IU’s Office of Student Ethics, said the report falls short of the accurate number of student-related sexual assaults.

“I have a slew of sexual assaults that occur off campus, as well,” Casares said.

An IDS investigation from three years ago reported more than 700 people filed reports of sexual assault with Bloomington and IU police departments, respectively, from 2000 to 2010.

But Casares said he has seen an increase in sexual assault cases reported to law enforcement and the Office of Student Ethics.

“I think we’re doing a better job at getting the information out,” Casares said.

IU-Bloomington recently received the 2013-14 Institutional Award of Excellence from the Association for Student Conduct Administration for its success with programs related to Title IX, including the creation and implementation of its sexual misconduct training model.

The Office of Student Ethics hears any sexual assault cases involving students, whether the student is the complainant or respondent, and even if the perpetrator was a student from a different university.

In partnership with Casaras’ office, Counseling and Psychological Services offers the Sexual Assault Crisis Service, a free 24-hour crisis line that is available 365 days of the year.

A student who is sexually assaulted can meet with a sexual assault counselor to decide whether or not to move forward with an investigation and hearing. The office will draw from interviews, police reports, medical evidence, social media and more to investigate a particular case, which will be heard within 60 days.

The Office of Student Ethics selects its hearing panels for sexual assault cases from a pool of about 20 people who have received more than 40 hours of training, Casares said.

Since the Department of Education released its Dear Colleague letter in spring 2011, the Office of Student Ethics began making sexual assault hearing decisions on a preponderance of evidence.

This means the plaintiff in a civil case must provide just enough evidence to prove a claim, as opposed to the previous standard of clear and convincing evidence.

“That was a huge game changer, and we immediately adjusted,” Casaras said. “It’s literally 50.0001 percent more likely than not.”

It is much more difficult to prove guilt in a criminal case.

Unlike student ethics cases, complainants in criminal cases must prove their standard of evidence beyond reasonable doubt.

Debbie Melloan, a sexual assault counselor at SACS, said she often helps inform victims of their options when dealing with sexual assault cases.

“I would let that person decide which body they want to report to,” Melloan said. “One of my roles is to empower that person and let them make their own choices.”

The Office of Student Ethics receives all cases from the IU Police Department. It does not receive all reports from off-campus agencies, such as the Middle Way House, the Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office, the IU Health Bloomington hospital and the Bloomington Police Department, unless those students report the event directly to the University. 

“We are trying to improve that,” Casares said.

Casares said his office meets every two months with a Sexual Assault Service Providers Network to share sexual assault information and statistics with its off-campus partners in order to collect accurate data for the annual Clery Report.

Melloan said she feels IU and the nation should improve sexual assault prevention by encouraging victims to report cases as they occur.

“Historically, there’s been a lot of myths associated with sexual assault and biases that make it hard for victims to come forward,” Melloan said. “Anything we can do to keep it at the forefront of national attention is going to be at the benefit of everybody.”

Casares said the White House Task Force is a step in the right direction.

“It immediately places an issue like sexual assault at the top of everybody’s radar,” Casares said. “But it’s already been on our radar.”

Follow reporter Samantha Schimdt on Twitter @schmidtsam7.