Faculty exhibit works at IU Art Museum

CAROUSELentMuseum

Thirty-eight faculty artists from the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts are scheduled to present art pieces in the faculty exhibit at the IU Art Museum, opening Saturday, Jan. 25.

Nearly all artistic mediums are represented, including sculpture, photography and graphic design.

“It makes for an interesting exhibition,” curator of the exhibit Jenny McComas said. “I think there is something for everyone.”

Grunwald Gallery director Betsy Stirratt is showing two pieces from her series,
“Half: Light,” which she has been working on for about two years.

One piece is called “Specter” and is an oil painting on canvas.

“It’s based on the idea of light and how light and space might emerge out of an overall darkness,” Stirratt said. “It’s talking about the way things become clearer to us in our mind over time.”

Other faculty artists showing art in the exhibit are Professor Emeritus Edward Bernstein with his piece “Scorched Earth Policy” and ceramics Professor Malcolm Mobutu Smith with his piece, “Two True.”

Digital Art Professor Arthur Liou is also presenting a high definition video that he created in 2012 entitled “Saga Dawa.” Liou has presented work in Japan, Taiwan and Canada, among other countries.  

“It’s nice to be a part of the faculty group, which is very distinguished,” Stirratt said. “You’ll see this huge range of beautiful, thoughtful and intelligent work. It’s a great group, and I am proud to be a part of it.”

Many of the faculty members from the School of Fine Arts exhibit their work nationally and internationally in a variety of private and public exhibitions, according to the museum’s press release.

“It’s a good opportunity to see all of the faculty work in one place and to see contemporary art by local artists,” McComas said.

The Art Museum only exhibits a faculty show about once every two years, so there is a unique opportunity for students to attend this winter, Stirratt said.  

“It’s critical for students to see what their instructors are doing,” Stirratt said. “Actually experiencing the art physically is important. All art has to be experienced one-on-one to be appreciated fully.”

Follow reporter Alison Graham on Twitter @AlisonGraham218.