administration

Robel discusses new programs, awards South Korea alumni

On her second day in South Korea, Provost Lauren Robel presented two newly created alumni awards to distinguished IU graduates in the East Asian nation.   

Jun Kwang-woo and Heejin Cho became the first two recipients of the awards, which were presented Sunday at the IU Korean Alumni Association’s winter dinner in Seoul, South Korea.

Robel and her group traveled to Seoul on Saturday to strengthen partnerships with local universities and connect with IU’s Korean alumni base.

She spent her first day at Sungkyunkwan University visiting with the South Korean Vice Minister of Education Na Seung-il.

They discussed plans to lay the groundwork for programs in law, business and global economics.   

“A major focus on our return will be getting the word out to students about these opportunities,” said Elisabeth Andrews, communication specialist for the Office of the Provost.

She presented both of the distinguished alumni awards at the dinner Sunday, which was attended by more than 250 IU alumni and their families.

“I have never seen a more enthusiastic group of alumni,” Andrews said. “This group really is a model for how IU alumni can create supportive, effective networks.”

The IU Korean Alumni chapter has more than 1,000 active members and was once led by Kwang-woo, Andrews said in her blog post about the trip.

Kwang-woo received the first Distinguished International Alumni Award and Cho received the J. William Hicks Award for Distinguished International Alumni, according to a press release.

Kwang-woo received his Ph.D. in economics and his masters of business administration from IU in 1981. He has since served as a finance professor, chief economist and director of international finance with the World Bank and special adviser to the deputy prime minister for finance and economy.

Cho is the highest-ranked female prosecutor in South Korea and began her career at a time when female prosecutors were uncommon in South Korea.

She received her postgraduate law degree from IU in 2000 and is currently the research commissioner of the Legal Research and Training Institute.

As a featured speaker, Robel discussed many of the innovations that will effect academic departments at IU, such as the creation of the new Media School and the School of Global and International Studies.

Along with the presentation of the awards, the dinner also featured performances by Jacobs School of Music alumni and a toast presented by School of Public and Environmental Affairs graduate Kim Dong-wan.

“This is an opportunity for us to really show our appreciation for people who do tremendous things for IU,” said Mark Land, associate vice president of Public Affairs and Government Relations.

Next, the provost will visit the Seoul Arts Center and Korean National University of the Arts.

On Wednesday, the group plans to meet with Seoul National University to renew an agreement on behalf of SPEA.  

“We’ll be bringing a lot of ideas back for the alumni association and the campus,” Andrews said.  

Follow reporter Amanda Marino on Twitter @amandanmarino.