crime & courts

Mom, daughter at Kohl’s steal thousands in clothes

Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said a mother and daughter duo attempted to steal more than $3,000 worth of clothes and other items from Target and Kohl’s before being arrested by police.

On Dec. 7, 66-year-old Sandra Kelley and her daughter, 43-year-old Jennifer Sadler, went to Target, where they stole $318.44 worth of merchandise.

They then drove to Kohl’s, where they stole more merchandise.

On Dec. 9 at about 2 p.m., a loss prevention officer at Kohl’s observed Sadler taking items and placing them in a plastic bag. Kelley, who was also in the store, then went outside to their car.

In the car were the previously stolen items, and Kelley moved them from the passenger seat to the trunk.

She then drove her car to the fire lane near the store, at which point she was detained by officers.

Still inside the store, Sadler put on a coat and left the store without paying for any of the items she took, at which point she was detained. The tag to the coat that Sadler had pulled off was later found.

Kelley said on Dec. 7 she knew her daughter was taking items from Target and Kohl’s, but she did not participate.

Kelley said she brought her daughter back to Kohl’s on Dec. 9 to return stolen property, but when Kelley was taking stolen items out of her car and putting them into her trunk, she never returned them to the store.

The value of the items taken from Kohl’s during the two days was estimated at $3,092.99.

Any items that couldn’t be traced to a specific store were logged as evidence.

Kelley was preliminarily charged with receiving and possession of stolen property and Sadler was preliminarily charged with theft/larceny.

Sadler denied she stole anything and said she was at Kohl’s to return two shirts.

— Sydney Murray