administration

Maurer law school gets new dean

The IU Maurer School of Law welcomed its new dean Dec. 16.

Austen Parrish will assume the role of dean and James H. Rudy Professor of Law at the school beginning Jan. 1. He comes to IU from Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles, where he served as CEO and interim dean from July 2012 until November 2013.

Parrish is a scholar, an author of several academic articles and books and an expert in transnational litigation, civil procedure and conflict of laws. Prior to entering the world of teaching, he earned degrees at the University of Washington and Columbia University and went on to practice law at global firm, O’Melveny & Meyers.

Parrish succeeds Provost Lauren Robel, who served as the last dean of the Maurer School.

“Austen is an exciting leader,” Robel said in a press release, “and I am confident that he will inspire our faculty, students, staff and alumni to continue raising the national and global profile of the Maurer School of Law.”

Austen's new IU colleagues mentioned that they look forward to working with Parrish, and think that he will bring a dynamic and creative energy to the school.

“The Maurer School of Law is rich in tradition,” Parrish said in the press release. “The school has had a remarkable series of leaders, and I feel privileged and humbled by the opportunity to serve as its dean.”

— Anicka Slachta