arts iu auditorium

Jacobs performers ring in the holidays

CAROUSELChristmasChimes

Audience members’ ears rang with holiday cheer last night at the “Chimes of Christmas” performance, staged by the Jacobs School of Music at the IU Auditorium.

The annual show is presented by the Jacobs School. It was directed and conducted by Professor of Music Steve Zegree.

“We hope you all have come to have fun and enjoy yourselves, but more importantly we want you to leave in a festive mood,” Zegree said to the audience.

“We are grateful for the staff at the IU Auditorium and the wonderful opportunity we have to collaborate and combine forces to bring you this annual concert of holiday joy.”

A well known holiday tradition, the show featured a wide variety of performances, ranging from traditional to new-age Christmas songs and spirituals.

Many notable Indiana musical artists performed, such as the Grammy-nominated Singing Hoosiers, Chamber Choir of the IU Children’s Chorus, IU Voice Professor Timothy Noble and Vocal Jazz Ensemble I.

The Singing Hoosiers performed an upbeat jazz version of “Jingle Bells,” with a high-paced dance routine. After, they eased into “Carol of the Bells.”

Then, the Singing Hoosiers Ballet Company, dressed in basketball uniforms, stole the show with their ballet rendition of “the Nutcracker.”

IU Voice Professor Tim Noble took the stage, conducted and performed several Christmas classics such as “the Christmas Song” and “O Holy Night.”  He even did one of his own written songs “Ring Christmas Bells.”

“This is a very treasured tradition to IU and it is a very loved event for many Bloomington residents,” said Doug Booher, director of the IU Auditorium.

“We are also hoping that Santa will be able to make a stop at the auditorium again this year like he did last year.”

Audience members were asked to bring cans of food before the show that would be donated to the Hoosier Hills Food Bank.

The auditorium was almost sold out with almost every seat in the theater taken. The public response was positive with high applause and standing ovations for most of the performances, with some people attending for the second year in a row.

“This ‘Chimes of Christmas’ concert is known every year as the most cheerful and family-friendly event among all of the Bloomington public,” Bloomington resident June Quivers said.

“I love attending it every year in time for the Christmas season, and I will continue going as long as they have it. It really is that spectacular.”

Follow reporter Anthony Broderick on Twitter @aebrodakirck.