arts administration

IU faculty nominated for Grammy awards

CAROUSELGrammy

Sound media historian Patrick Feaster and Professor Wayne Wallace were both nominated for the 2014 Grammy awards. Nominees were announced Friday.

Feaster received a nomination for Best Historical Album for his book and CD set, “Pictures of Sound: One Thousand Years of Educed Audio: 980-1980.”

The book covers Feaster’s conversion of historical sounds into playable audio using digital procedures, including converting one of the oldest gramophone records, inventor Emile Berliner’s recitation of Friedrich Schiller’s ballad “Der Handschuh”.

Feaster said he was thrilled to receive recognition for work that is uniquely his own.

“I’m perhaps most pleased because the fact that the project was even nominated represents a huge step in the recognition of this area of historic audio,” Feaster said in a press release. “A major point of my book is the argument that materials like these count as sound recordings, whereas others would say they don’t. They’re too different.”

Wallace’s group, the Wayne Wallace Latin Jazz Quintet, earned a nomination for Best Latin Jazz Album for their album “Latin Jazz/Jazz Latin.”

A jazz trombonist, Wallace teaches at the Jacobs School of Music as a professor of practice. This marks his sixth Grammy nomination.

“It’s an honor to be recognized by your peers and the people whose work you’ve admired over the years,” Wallace said in a press release.

“It gives you a feeling that you’re doing the right thing, which is about all you can really ask for as you progress in your career.”