student life

Independent council offers social, philanthropic opportunities for non-greeks

The Independent Council, a student philanthropy organization, reached a milestone this semester, increasing its membership by 60 percent due to extensive tabling and self-promotion.

IC offers women the social and philanthropic opportunities of greek life without the greek letters.

“This is an organization for people who identify as independent but still wish to meet new people and become involved on campus and within the community,” senior IC President Lena Reifinger said.

IC, much like greek fraternities and sororities, has an executive board with members including president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. Established at IU in 2009, the IC has several committees within the organization that organize social events, philanthropy and fundraising.

“This is a way to get groups of girls to work on projects independently from the organization,” Reifinger said. “It gives members options for different types of involvement.”

In addition to volunteering at community organizations, such as the Bloomington Boys and Girls Club, they also volunteer at 5k races.

This year was their first year participating in IUDM as well. IC members raised more than $15,800 and won the IUDM award for “best new organization,” Reifinger said.

“It was a great way for us to get involved on campus,” Reifinger said. “It was great to have an independent organization at IUDM since there are so many greek organizations representing themselves there.”

Next semester, IC will work with Front Row Foundation, an organization that gives individuals battling health challenges and their families front row tickets to their favorite concert, sporting or other event.

Sophomore IC member Erika Eads said she was impressed and surprised that IC membership has more than doubled.

Currently, IC has 120 registered members. Dues are $40 when first joining and $30 after each semester. The women have a recruitment process each semester, and there is no interview process.

“Anyone who wants to can join,” Reifinger said.

However, there are some restrictions, she said. If someone is a member of a social greek organization, they cannot join IC. If they are involved in an academic greek organization, they are still eligible for membership in IC.

Reifinger joined during her sophomore year.

“It’s an organization I’m super passionate about,” Reifinger said. “Everyone finds a place they feel comfy with on campus, a place you fit in. For me, IC has been that place.”

Eads, who joined this semester, said one of the aspects she likes about IC is the flexible time commitment.

“It’s a great organization because I work while I’m in school, and school itself is a busy thing. So it’s nice that I don’t have to commit a lot of time,” Eads said.

In addition to IC’s philanthropic activities, it also has social events such as group dinners and attending Little 500.

“It’s a great way to get involved with the community, but it’s also campus-wide,” Eads said. “Along with our volunteering, we also do social things, so there’s that fun aspect of all of us getting together.”

Reifinger said she also liked the financial aspect of IC.

“I was looking for ways to get involved on campus, but I knew I didn’t have the time to commit to a greek organization or the financial abilities,” Reifinger said.

Reifinger said though greek organizations have significant campus and member involvement, it is also beneficial to look at every organization available.

“Just look around and see what’s best for you,” Reifinger said. “Check out your options, but always remember that it’s okay to be independent on this campus, and there’s plenty of opportunities to get involved.”

Follow reporter Tori Lawhorn on Twitter @ToriLawhorn.