arts exhibits

Grunwald exhibits art by faculty, students abroad

The Grunwald Gallery of Art is displaying two new exhibitions, “Just Visiting: Visiting Faculty Exhibition” and “The School of Fine Arts Abroad: Overseas Study Exhibition,” that highlights the work of visiting faculty and study abroad students.

The exhibitions, which open to the public today, will be on display through Saturday. A reception will be staged from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday in the gallery.

“Just Visiting: Visiting Faculty Exhibition” consists of works by visiting faculty in the School of Fine Arts. Several art media, including printmaking, sculpture, photography and painting, are represented.

“We generally have some kind of faculty show during each school year,” said Amanda Fong, a public relations assistant at Grunwald. “This year was an opportunity to highlight the high quality work of the many talented artist instructors we have coming through the program specifically as visiting professors.”

“The School of Fine Arts Abroad: Overseas Study Exhibition,” contains artwork that was created by students on summer study abroad programs taught by members of the Fine Arts faculty in Italy and Japan.

Fong said Grunwald does an Overseas Study exhibition every year to display the work of students after their time studying and making art abroad.

“It is a way to see into the studies of the participants to show the value of the School of Fine Arts Abroad program,” she said. 

Fong also said visitors should see the exhibitions as a showcase of the things the School of Fine Arts has to offer, including the study abroad program, the accessibility between students and Grunwald, and a faculty that is always “changing, progressing, and bringing new things to the School of Fine Arts.”

Follow Rachel Osman on Twitter @rachosman.