sports wrestling

Wrestling team ready to start season

The IU wrestling team has a clear goal this season — to be tougher.

The wrestlers agree being tougher and pushing themselves has been a key focus in the offseason.

“I would say we probably have been working most on overall toughness,” Junior Luke Sheridan said. “I feel like everybody has had the technique the whole time but now we are just getting a lot more mean when it comes to being on the mat.”

Redshirt Sophomore Alex Gregory has a similar outlook on the offseason.

“The offseason has been going very well. We have been pushing ourselves really well, which we were kind of lacking last year,” Gregory said. “Last year we were really reserved, and we would hold back, and it showed in matches when it came to the later periods.”

Sheridan said toughness comes down to doing little things, like pushup ladders.

“Your muscles can do it; it’s just all in your head,” he said. “You have to have that toughness factor and if you take that into a match I feel like you are definitely going to win.”

The Hoosiers suffered several injuries last year.

“We need to stay healthy,” redshirt sophomore Eric Roach said. “Last year we had a lot of injuries. It was very unfortunate and put us at a big disadvantage.”

Roach is in the midst of one of the tighter battles for time this season. He is fighting to wrestle at the 149-weight class with Gregory, who took over at 149 when Roach was injured.

IU Coach Duane Goldman said he expects a lot of good things at that weight class. Roach is looking stronger at the moment, Goldman said, but Gregory gained a lot of experience wrestling at the end of the season and in the Big Ten championships in Roach’s absence.

“We are pleased with our schedules,” Goldman said. “We have 12 home dual meets which will give our guys a lot of opportunities to compete in front of their family and their fans and hopefully have a lot of home crowd momentum in those matches and get a lot of wins.”

The returning starter at 125 pounds and last season’s voted most-improved player, redshirt junior Joe Duca, has garnered a lot of praise.

“Joe put in a great summer,” Goldman said. “He stayed here most of that time and worked hard to improve himself and improve his skills. He is very focused and we are excited to see what he can do this season.”

It is not just Duca’s coach who has observed his work. Teammate Luke Sheridan did not have to think long when he was asked who has impressed him the most this offseason.

“He has been here this whole summer in the weight room, on the mat, he is a completely different wrestler,” Sheridan said.

Sheridan had a busy offseason as well. He won the Junior Fila Nationals and the Junior World Team Trials. Sheridan also competed at the University National Championships and the Junior World Championships in Bulgaria.

“Luke had a great summer,” Goldman said. “He loves to wrestle, he loves to compete. Now with a couple of years of varsity wrestling under his belt, as well as being an NCAA qualifier, we feel like he is turning the corner and I think he feels the same way. It looks like he is really ready to turn it on this year and have a great year.”

The team’s season begins this Sunday in Clarion, Pa., for the Clarion Open. All of the Hoosiers’ offseason preparation will be on display.

“Coach Goldman has been making a point that everyone needs to get with the program and be a part of the team,” Roach said. “They need to be in it 100 percent. This is a sport you need to be completely committed to or else things will not be very fun for you.”

Follow wrestling reporter Brody Miller on Twitter at @BrodyMillerIDS.