sports wrestling

Wrestling goes to Philadelphia for Keystone Classic

The IU wrestling team could face up to 54 ranked wrestlers from 12 schools at the high-profile Keystone Classic tournament Sunday.

“It’s a tough tournament,” IU Coach Duane Goldman said. “It is all invited D-1 schools; there are a lot of ranked wrestlers at different weights. If our guys are going to go in there and if they do well, they will get a lot of good wins for their RPI and qualifying for their matches.”

Last season, senior Adam Chalfant took the heavyweight title in the Keystone Classic and Senior Ryan LeBlanc took third place at 165 pounds.

At heavyweight, Chalfant will be in the same weight class as seven other wrestlers ranked in the top 32. Chalfant is ranked No. 6 in the nation.

LeBlanc, ranked No. 18, will also be in the same bracket as five top-ranked wrestlers.
He said he has been working on certain aspects of his performance for this weekend.

“I’ve been making sure that I am tightening up my top work,” LeBlanc said. “I got some deep holds this past weekend, but I didn’t necessarily finish them. I worked a lot on that from a technical aspect. From a physical aspect, just been building my condition, building my shape, working hard running and lifting.”

As a team, IU has been building off some issues from last week’s tri-meet wins against Duke and Cleveland State.

“At the dual meet last week, I wouldn’t say we wrestled horribly, but I think we felt the one hour weigh-in a little too much,” Goldman said. “We addressed some technical things. They weren’t major problem issues but more strategic process philosophy.”

The team has also been working on conditioning and wrist work, LeBlanc and sophomore Garret Goldman said.

Freshman Nate Jackson expects to make his season debut at the Keystone Open.

“We will see what he can do, or not do,” Goldman said. “He has been waiting for a while to get on the mat, so it will be good for him to get that opportunity.”

Alongside 165 pounds and heavyweight, the 125- and 149-pound classes will have seven top-32 ranked wrestlers. No weight class has fewer than two.

The wrestlers have a positive attitude going into the weekend.

“I think everyone is going into it looking to do good, looking to wrestle hard and do their best and get their name out there a little more,” Goldman said. “Me personally, I’d like to get out there and have guys recognize me a little more and kind of get my name out there in the rankings.”

Goldman is trying to find a consistent stride after a 1-1 performance last weekend.

“This is our first tournament where they keep team score, so I am excited to see how we will do,” LeBlanc said. “I think we have everyone in the lineup. Everyone is healthy, so I have high expectations to get in those placing rounds and have a lot of guys placing.”

Follow wrestling reporter Brody Miller on Twitter @BrodyMillerIDS.