IUDM raises record $2.6 million

CAROUSELcaIUDM

More than 3,000 people chanted “FTK” or “for the kids” as they awaited the reveal of the second digit of the total for the 2013 IU Dance Marathon.

As the final white poster was dropped to reveal the number six, the gymnasium erupted in a roar of applause, shouts and tears. The grand total was $2,622,123.21, the most money raised in the history of IUDM, the second largest student organization in the country. 

IUDM celebrated its 23rd annual fundraiser in the Indoor Tennis Center from 8 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Sunday to benefit Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. The Marathon consisted of a 36-hour event that has raised more than $14 million for the Ryan White Infectious Disease Center at Riley Hospital. The marathon was separated by two shifts of 18-hour dancers, in addition to full 36-hour dancers.

The Marathon began with the beat of “Eye of a Tiger” and a tunnel made by committee members that led dancers to the IUDM stage.

Students stormed the court through the tunnel, sporting different colors according to their team.

Dancer and freshman Michael Angelo gathered with thirteen of his fraternity brothers from Sigma Phi Epsilon, waiting for the marathon to begin. He said he was excited to meet the kids but was dreading the 30-hour mark, which he’d heard was the hardest part.

“We’ll have to do the first 18 by ourselves,” Angelo said. “But once the rest of our brothers come, that’ll be a nice boost for the rest.”

During each 18-hour interval, students learned a line dance, which they would all perform right before the 2013 total was revealed.

The dance was created and demonstrated by the IUDM Morale committee. The group was tasked to keep everyone at IUDM active and excited through the long hours of the event.  

Sophomore and Recruitment Committee member Tess Ropp said even though she was already exhausted after completing 18 hours of her 36-hour shift, the Morale group helped keep her going.

They are “basically the craziest people in IUDM,” Ropp said. “They keep everyone pumped up.”

The line dance, which lasted about eight minutes and thirty seconds, consisted of a compilation of music clips and dance moves memorized by IUDM participants and committee members. The dance was taught five or six times during each hour to keep dancers moving.

Dancers flicked their hands, jumped, turned and shimmied to the music.

They also participated in jumping rope, playing ball and interacting with the Riley kids.
Committee members made sure dancers were fed and hydrated during the event. More than 920 people volunteered for this year’s planning committee.

Dancers had to raise $500 in order to participate. Ropp said she personally raised more than $846 for the event.

“I got an online donation of $475, and it was anonymous, so that got me to my total,” Ropp said. “I still don’t know to this day who it was.”

Hearing the Riley kids’ stories are really what kept her going, Ropp said.

The children and their families each shared their stories to encourage the dancers to fight the exhaustion.

One Riley patient, Benjamin Edwards, was diagnosed with a brain tumor Apr. 18, 2011. His father, Chris Edwards, spoke to students about the toddler’s tumor.

“His balance deteriorated to the point where he regressed to crawling,” Chris Edwards said. “He would wake up frequently, in pain and looking disoriented, clutching his stuffed zebra.”

He talked about how scared the family was as surgeons prepared their son for the complicated procedure to remove the cancer. Two years, four surgeries, and 32 radiation treatments later, Benjamin is now in remission.

He is one of many children who will benefit from the IUDM funds for Riley Hospital. He and the other Riley children present were able to enjoy a bounce house and craft tables during the event.

Ropp participated in the marathon her freshman year as an 18-hour dancer and says she will definitely participate every year of her college career.

“IUDM was the most inspiring and best part of my freshman year,” Ropp said. “Over everything I did last year, those 18 hours were the best. I loved it.”

IUDM Director Nick Kolar said the goal is always to exceed the past year’s total amount fundraised. IUDM staff were happy to announce that this year’s event raised over $500,000 more than last year’s total.

After the total reveal, dancers laid or sat down on the gymnasium floor, overcome by exhaustion and relief.

Emergency Medical Technicians attended the event in case students fainted during the 36-hour no-sitting, no-sleeping dance. But Kolar said there weren’t any major issues during this year’s event.

“I think this marathon went as smoothly as it could have,” Kolar said. “We did as well as we possibly could have done. We’re just really happy.”

Follow reporter Torie Schumacher on Twitter @shoe_torie.