student life

IUDM and Riley event draws patients, parents

caRiley

A group of about 70 children and their families ran across the field at Memorial Stadium as the crowd cheered Saturday.

The Riley Hospital for Children patients gathered for Riley at the Rock, an event organized by IU Athletics and IU Dance Marathon.

The event, which is in its sixth year, took place during IU’s Homecoming football game against Minnesota.

It gave children from Riley Hospital a chance to escape their realities, said junior Nick Kolar, IUDM director of public relations.

Riley at the Rock served as precursor event for IUDM’s primary fundraiser, a 36-hour dance marathon Nov. 15-17.

The money goes to Riley Hospital, which treats more than 80 percent of all new cancer diagnoses in Indiana children as well as provides other comprehensive pediatric care.

IUDM collaborates with IU Athletics to plan Riley at the Rock, Kolar said.

“IU Athletics picks a game for us to do it, and this year, out of luck, they chose Homecoming,” Kolar said.

Before the game, the families met in the Hoosier Village for a tailgate.

They passed the time tossing footballs, playing corn hole and watching a performance by the Marching Hundred.

As kick-off time drew near, the children and IUDM representatives walked from Hoosier Village to the IU practice field.

Once on the field, they continued to run around and play with their friends from Riley and IUDM.

After a few photo sessions, the time had come for them to enter the stadium. Upon entering the tunnel to get to the Wilkinson Performance Center, the kids cheered, laughed and chanted “FTK,” or “for the kids.”

Eli Delks, a Riley Hospital patient, attended the gathering with a friend and an IUDM representative.

“I get to run on IU’s field for the first time ever,” Delks said.

For other attendees it was not their first time, Carla Russell from Indianapolis said.

Carla’s daughter, Natalie Russell, is in remission for an autoimmune disease.

“We have been coming for four years,” Carla said. “I’m glad it continues, and I am glad it ever began.”

As they waited in the Wilkinson Performance Center weight room, the kids expressed their anticipation to get onto the field. 

“I’m ready to run,” 2-year-old Nate Russell, Natalie’s brother, said.

Finally, the moment all the kids, parents and IUDM staff waited for had arrived.

Before the football players entered the field for kick-off, the Riley patients and families ran across the field, smiling and cheering.

The Riley at the Rock event, along with the other IUDM events, encourages parents and kids to continue to be involved, Carla said.

IUDM has provided funds to help her daughter recover.

“I think it is great that college kids get together to do other things for the kids at Riley,” Russell said. “Without IU or IUDM Riley may have never had the knowledge to help my daughter get in remission from her autoimmune disease.”

Parent Paul Ginrin of Plainfield said his son Gavin was treated for infant leukemia at Riley Hospital.

“With Dance Marathon a lot of the proceeds go to Riley Hospital and help children like my son who have a diagnosis or life-threatening illness,” Ginrin said.

Once they made it across the field, all of the kids stood and watched the IU football players make their entrance.

Natalie said she enjoyed the day running around with her friends. 

“It’s just really fun,” she said.

Follow reporter Angela Hawkins on Twitter @angelalhawkins.