IU vs. Minnesota football Q&A

In advance of Saturday's game against Minnesota, the IDS asked Minnesota Daily football beat writer Nate Gotlieb about the Minnesota offense and Coach Jerry Kill.

IDS
Philip Nelson and Mitch Leidner have both played at quarterback throughout the season. How does Minnesota use both quarterbacks on offense?

Minnesota uses both quarterbacks the same way. Both facilitate a run-first offense and occasionally pass. The problem was that both struggled in the Gophers' first two Big Ten games.

Nelson appeared to be the unquestioned starter going into the season but but struggled against Iowa on Sept. 28. Leidner started against Michigan the following week, but the Gophers still lost by more than four touchdowns.

Leidner has started the past two games but Nelson has relieved him in the second quarter in both. It's a baffling system, but almost everyone in Minnesota has just come to accept it now that the Gophers are winning.

Both are equally good runners, but Nelson is arguably a better passer.  Coaches say they want to get both reps during the game but then decide on one -- the "hot hand," so to speak. That's been Nelson the past two weeks.      

IDS Minnesota's quarterbacks have combined for more than 600 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns. Are their runs typically designed rushes or are they simply efficient at scrambling from the pocket when a play breaks down?

The 11 rushing touchdowns are by design, but the 600 rushing yards are not. The Gophers often run quarterback sneaks near the goal line. Nelson scored on two one-yard runs last week. Leidner scored four rushing touchdowns in his first start and all were 10 yards or less.  Minnesota loves to let its big quarterbacks sneak behind its big offensive line. 

But the 600 rushing yards are a different story. Those are about half designed and half improvised and most came earlier in the year when the Gophers were playing lower-tier opponents. Nelson and Leidner still run anywhere from 10-20 times a game but they haven't needed to run as much because Minnesota's running backs have been effective.  

IDS
What is the latest update on the health and involvement of Minnesota Coach Jerry Kill, who has suffered from seizures this season?

Kill addressed the media Tuesday and said he is playing more of a behind-the-scenes role. Kill did not give any specifics on his condition but said he will be driving by February. He currently cannot drive because of his epilepsy.

Kill said he was at practice everyday last week in an observational role. He said he has done a lot of recruiting in these past few weeks. Kill will attend the Indiana game and will sit in the coaches' box but he did not say Tuesday what role he'll play in managing the game.  

IDS What is the mindset of the players and/or the fan base after Minnesota rebounded from two tough losses with two big wins, then having four challenging games remaining on the schedule?

Minnesota's fan base is cautiously excited and the players seem to believe anything is possible at this point.  Players appear to know sustaining their success will be a challenge but they also appear to be embracing that challenge. 

Minnesota's students are fair-weather football fans, though they have become more supportive of the team since Jerry Kill arrived. The student section was full when the Gophers played Iowa after a 4-0 start but it was only half-full last Saturday (Technically it was full. But the upper desk was clouded in Nebraska red).

A win against Indiana on Saturday and TCF Bank Stadium should be full when Minnesota plays Penn State on Nov. 9. A loss and the buzz is dampened.