arts performances

Hatije Hafla to benefit Middle Way House

Belly dancers will shimmy and swivel their hips to live music at 8 p.m. Nov. 23 at the Player’s Pub for Hatije Hafla, an annual benefit event that raises money for Middle Way House.

The event is free, but attendees are encouraged to donate money at the door, as all funds will go toward Middle Way House, Bloomington’s domestic violence and rape crisis shelter.

Eight years ago, when Bloomington resident Peggy Squires was planning her birthday celebration, she decided she wanted the event to support the shelter.

As a psychotherapist, Squires was aware of the damage domestic violence causes victims.

She wanted to dance with friends on her birthday, but she also wanted to support a good cause.

After almost 70 people came out the first year, Squires knew it was an event she wanted to become annual.

“It was such fun, we’ve been doing it ever since,” she said.

This year’s “hafla,” which is the Arabic word referring to belly dance parties, will feature dance performances from local dancers Angela AuBuchon, Donna Barbrick Carlton, Dark Side Tribal, Katie Derloshon, Ashley Donaldson, Eiko, Eszter Edl, Indy Tribal, Stacie Michele Jones, Margaret Radke, Laura McCain Reed and Carmela Senior.

But dance wouldn’t be anything without music.

Five members of Salaam, a band that specializes in Middle Eastern and North African music, play for the performers and audience members who join in on the dance floor.
Squires first heard Salaam during one of its performances at Borders bookstore in the 1990s.

“Having lived in both India and Turkey, I was interested in world music,” Squires said. “I’ve been a fan of Salaam’s ever since.”

Today, Dena El Saffar, the founder of Salaam, helps Squires organize Hatije Hafla.
“I feel really proud of what we’ve done over the years,” Saffar said.

Though Squires said attendance was down last year, she said she thinks the event is one worth people’s time.

“People can see some exquisite dancing to fascinating music while supporting a good cause,” Squires said.

Follow reporter Amanda Arnold on Twitter@aMandolinz.